Sway bar "ring" bushing question

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JaySplat
In Neutral

Sway bar "ring" bushing question

Post by JaySplat »

Hi all,
My first post after buying SnowJob's 91SS several years ago. Sorry if this has been covered, but I lost a bushing around the bolt that connects the left rear end link to the sway bar.
I hope these pics show you where I mean. I shopped around for new end links + bushings from Whiteline, etc. but the product images only seem to show the bushing within the end link housing -- not the portion that goes around the bolt inside the swaybar end ring. Do I need to find this bushing separately, or is the entire bushing one piece, and I'm just worrying for nothing?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm not sure which "bushing" you're referring to. The bushing is the rubber or polyurethane part. There is a metal collar in the center of the bushing that the bolt goes through.

Can you clarify the part you're talking about?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
JaySplat
In Neutral

Post by JaySplat »

Josh,
I updated the pics with some text and pointers, showing where I'm talking about. If I'm still not making sense, let me know and I'll take apart the right side to try to make it more obvious.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah there's a bushing that needs to go into the anti-sway bar. There's a big flat washer to help evenly distribute the load on that bushing. What appears that has happened is the metal collar in the center of the rubber bushing has pulled away from the rubber, or the rubber deteriorated, and all that's left is that metal collar with the bolt going through it.

You will need to go to subaru to get that bushing, or snag it from a anti-sway bar on a legacy in a junkyard. The washer you could probably just pickup at home depot.

If you were to upgrade the rear anti-sway bar to an aftermarket one, they would not have a bushing in the bar, just a flat plate to put the bolt through.

I don't recall whether the 92-94 turbo legacies use the bushing in the bar like the 90 & 91 MY's. If so, you may be able to use a 92-94 turbo legacy rear anti-sway bar.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
JaySplat
In Neutral

Post by JaySplat »

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with an aftermarket anti-sway bar and end links.