Trans Filter Change

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Buffman
Second Gear

Trans Filter Change

Post by Buffman »

Anything special about the internal trans filter in these subaru autos, or is it just the standard drop pan drop filter and replace? I see the trans (carfax report) was serviced at 77K, so I figured time to do it again. (155K)

I don't need to hear anyone's hog wash about servicing high mileage transmissions will result in failure... Just the Facts about the job :)
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The internal "filter" is just a screen. It's probably fine, but otherwise, you just need to get it out and backwash it in a parts cleaner. No need to replace it unless you had major transmission issues....in which case you have bigger issues then replacing the screen.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

okay. It's just a screen? The ones in Gms are filter material. If it's just a screen, maybe I'll just drain the fluid and call it good.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah it's just a screen.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

maybe replace the external filter instead if it hasnt been done in a long time.
Summer Fun = 1991 Civic Si Turbo
Winter Fun = 1991 Legacy Sport Sedan
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

I got the external filter also. Like the whole kit for $14 instead of $70 for just the filter. Since it's probably never been done I'll probably just drop the pan anyways and replace the filter.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

stupid hogwash, saves so much money
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

well if I'm going to flush out the entire transmission with 10 quarts anyways, I don't see why I shouldn't take an extra 10 minutes to drop the pan.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The external "filter" is also just a screen type element. I don't believe it's an actual filter filter.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

Got the external one and internal one changed today. Biggest PITA of the internal one was that metal pipe that runs across the filter. I got it out. It's weird the pipe isn't press fit, nor does it have an o-ring to seal the pipe in place. It just pretty much sits in the holes and is bolted in place. I would think maybe it has an oring as I've seen similiar setups used for fuel lines, but the parts catalog showed no o-rings, and none were found on the tube, in the trans or on the floor.

Someone was right that a lot of trans fluid comes out of the one side of the metal pipe near the filter neck.

After draining, replacing both filters, and then refilling and flushing, and refilling I used 12 quarts of fluid.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Notice any difference in the way the car drives?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

trans seems to shift smoother. Other than that just more preventative maintenance. Duty C solenoid is still being tripped, so it didn't help that...

Old fluid wasn't too nasty, but found some garbage in the internal filter.
93Subadan
First Gear

Post by 93Subadan »

Any trick on splitting the pan apart? I have mine on stands right now about to take a putty knife to it...
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

a putt knife is what I used. I hit the pan with a deadblow to knock it loose. The stock pan gasket was a PITA to get off.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

So I guess i should invest in a pan gasket before removing it as well as the internal filter. I dont think my 93 legacy has a external filter.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
93Subadan
First Gear

Post by 93Subadan »

The putty knife did the trick and I was able to get the gasket off with that, sandpaper, and liberal amounts of mineral spirits. Pretty cool how they use the magnet in there like the diffs.

Yes, you'll need a new gasket - I got mine for only a few bucks. I followed my lines and wasn't able to find an external filter either. The lines went straight from the trans to the radiator and back. FYI I have a '93 LS.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

my 92 4EAT has the external filter. Maybe mine was a retrofit, but I thought someone said on here 92 on all had them. IF you have it, it's by the driver's side valve cover.

You can buy the retrofit kit for $14 that comes with the filter, bracket, lines, and everything. The filter itself is $70!
93Subadan
First Gear

Post by 93Subadan »

So I hit a snag with the filter change...there is a pipe running underneath the filter. When I pull down on the filter to take it out, I'm hitting the pipe before the neck of the filter clears so it's stuck in there. :?

Here's a picture:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pE ... n1q_SHJ7Hw

Cheers!
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

you need to unbolt that pipe. it's two bolts. Pull straight down on the pipe, it will come out. There are no orings on the pipe. It just sits in the holes and is bolted in place. A LOT OF trans fluid will come out of the hole for the pipe nearest the filter neck.

If you've still got yours torn apart, does trans fluid slowly weep? out of the one pipe end closest to the trans filter neck? I noticed after I bolted mine back together, it seemed to weep a little bit. I don't recall if it did it before I unbolted it, so I was just curious if it does..
93Subadan
First Gear

Post by 93Subadan »

Fluid was weeping all over the place...I'll check whether the pipe is doing it or not tonight when I swap the filter.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

Thanks. Like I said I'm not sure if it did it or not before I removed it, but don't see why it would be a complete seal in the first place because the pipe just fits up in the hole.
93Subadan
First Gear

Post by 93Subadan »

Oh dear god that was a lot of fluid that came out when I pulled the tube...:lol:

Before I pulled the tube out I looked and there was a very small bit of fluid around it that was seeping out. Not dripping or anything, just barely seeping.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

okay thanks :) That's what mine was doing after I put it back together. Just seeping just a tad to notice fluid.

Matt