Intake Manifold Removal Questions

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Buffman
Second Gear

Intake Manifold Removal Questions

Post by Buffman »

I plan on pulling the intake sometime this next week, so I can clean any gun inside of it out. Are there any tricks to the trade to remove the N/A manifold? I don't think any of the front drive accessories need to be removed, but is there anything that should be of concern when pulling the intake?
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The vaccuum lines are likely old and hard, so plan to break a few. Other than that, It's pretty straight-forward a process.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

okay thanks
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

old gas lines...either get a rag over them while twisting each line with a pair of pliers, careful not to damage the lines then simply pull on them or cut them and replace. also like stated above vacuum lines may easily break
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

I think the fuel system was serviced years ago (according to the receipts and car fax). I don't know what they serviced, but the fuel lines look in really good shape up front.
Damon
Second Gear

Re: Intake Manifold Removal Questions

Post by Damon »

Buffman wrote:I plan on pulling the intake sometime this next week, so I can clean any gun inside of it out. Are there any tricks to the trade to remove the N/A manifold? I don't think any of the front drive accessories need to be removed, but is there anything that should be of concern when pulling the intake?
I wouldn't even waste my time. There probably isn't enough gunk in there to warrant the hassle of removing all that stuff, plus the intake plenum is pretty large anyway so I doubt it is causing any restriction.
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

the top vacuum port on the TB was clogged, so who knows what else is in the intake. I have new gaskets to put on, so I figured to give the intake a good cleaning while it's off.
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

if your gental with the lines, use a pick to brack the seals they've created, then u can save most of them. Its the fuel lines that really give problems.
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

Got the gaskets changed. They were in horrible shape. Nothing really inside the intake to warrant removing it, But I did move it out of the way to put the new gaskets on.. TB was farily dirty and so was IAC. Bypassed the TB coolant while I was at it.