Looking for a deep mean muffler but not loud

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I was trying to steer away from the WRX exhausts because I want it to fit the car perfectly and have plenty of clearence. I do not have a nice welder. My step dad has a lincoln electric harbor freight wire feed welder. And I'm not good at welding due to the fact that I've only done it about twice before. Without any help or pointers from someone who actually knew how to weld.

Do you really think that borla muffler would be hard to fit? I need to take a look under there.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
chiplrx-sli
In Neutral

Post by chiplrx-sli »

i add to the cherry bomb idea i had one on a na ej22 and it sounded mean
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

how do make one sound like this? :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9CJMw_Uc78
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Magnaflow is garbage, there's more to it than sound and performance. And assuming you can't weld it yourself, you aren't saving much money once you get it all welded up.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Apex3 wrote:Magnaflow is garbage, there's more to it than sound and performance.
Elaborate.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

beatersubi wrote:
Apex3 wrote:Magnaflow is garbage, there's more to it than sound and performance.
Elaborate.
Quality? I had a magnaflow cat, it was made of cheesy metal, and the heatshield started rattling within months, I ended up just taking out the cat completely.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Good to know. Was it at least priced reasonably?
I have a magnaflow muffler that was cheap from summit that's never had any issues.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SPUMONI_RT
First Gear

Post by SPUMONI_RT »

the boxer engine sounds good with no muffler nor resonators. It's all personal choice. Your best bet buy a fart can those ricer mufflers from ebay for 30$ you can get lots of different styles. I have a cheap strait through muffler with silencer. Lots of silencers are tuneable, so you get get the tone your looking for.
-Spumoni-
A1Fiddler
First Gear

Post by A1Fiddler »

I'm running an STI muffler on mine. It's quiet until you get on it, then it sounds real nice.
'92 Legacy Sport Sedan - EJ22T, 4EAT, AWD - Snorkle Delete, Custom Grounding, 3" Catless TBE.
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

here is what a super 44 flowmaster sounds like with the rest of the exhaust stock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOegSX6seOg
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

1998 VW GTi VR6 5MT (SOLD)
1992 SS 4EAT Winestone (minus 2 gears/SOLD)
1994 TW 4EAT Quicksilver (blown up/SOLD)
2007 Legacy SE 5MT Satin White Pearl (Mine now :))
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

I just put an SPT axle back on in place of my Flowmaster. Holy crap, I can hear again! :lol:

I loved the loudness of the Flowmaster, but it was getting to the point where it would just drone on long drives and give me a headache. The SPT is loud when you punch it, but otherwise just deep and mellow.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

I used a tip to get rid of the drone. the key is to have the outlet exit just behind the last part of the rear bumper. before I put the tip on I could barely talk to someone inside the car. don't worry though, it was a tip I chopped off of an 06 impreza, and welded on.
Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.

fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

^^ Yes! Mine pokes out about 4" past the bumper, I was surprised what a huge difference that made.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
shtbxr22
Fourth Gear

Post by shtbxr22 »

4"? wow. that's alot.

fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

Yeah, it was a 'miscalculation' when I welded it up... the 3" tailpipe is cut on a 45 though, so the bottom only clears by an inch or so.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79