Im screwed

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nickk248
In Neutral

Im screwed

Post by nickk248 »

My crank pulley bolt snapped off inside of the crank.

Am i screwed? or is there a way to fix this without having to get a new engine.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Drill a hole and reverse tap it so you can lock a bolt in it and hopefully get it out. A little bit of heat to the end of the crank might help. Don't make it cherry or anything as that will change the crystalline structure of the metal.

Drilling the hole won't be easy. It is forged steel.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

before you start heating or drilling you should try tapping it around with a small punch or chisel. Once the head has come off there might be no load on the threads and it might turn easily. I wouldn't advise heating it at all myself, that will make it tighter in the hole not looser... unless you heat the crank, which would require a lot of heat and wouldn't be a good idea.
nickk248
In Neutral

Post by nickk248 »

^ Ok thanks ill try that today
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I didn't mean roast the hell out of the crank, just warm it up a bit so it expands a bit and lets go of the bolt a little. You aren't going to do anything to the metal short of 4-500 degrees.
→Dan

chiplrx-sli
In Neutral

Post by chiplrx-sli »

the bolt is gonna expand to heating it wont do a god damn thing . i would drill out it and retap the hole . that is gonna be your best bet
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Use good penetrating oil and let sit. Try to get an easy-out on it while tapping the end of the crank rapidly and lightly with a ball peen hammer or such as logic1call suggested.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

chiplrx-sli wrote:the bolt is gonna expand to heating it wont do a god damn thing . i would drill out it and retap the hole . that is gonna be your best bet

IF you sit there with a torch for ten minutes, then yes. If you are fast with it then then crank heats first, and relives stress on the bolt.

This is only necessary when one is having trouble with an easy out anyways.
→Dan

nickk248
In Neutral

Post by nickk248 »

If only i had time to do this. Im thinking its time for a new engine build.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

take bolt out = a few hours
rebuild engine and replace engine = weeks

you dont have time to get the broken bolt out but you have time to replace the whole motor? :smt017

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL1lfSzgcAw
Last edited by magicmike on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
nickk248
In Neutral

Post by nickk248 »

Im leaving for school tomorrow. I fiqure i should just start sourcing parts for a motor build when im back in school.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

^^
lol

a small amount of heat will help

think about cracking a nut in the winter compared to the summer
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
adema2626
Second Gear

Post by adema2626 »

chiplrx-sli wrote:the bolt is gonna expand to heating it wont do a god damn thing . i would drill out it and retap the hole . that is gonna be your best bet
Wrong because heating it up expands both the bolt/crank slightly so it breaks the seal that has built up over time and in turn makes it easier to unthread the bolt from the crank. I had to do this with every stud on my turbo so i could replace them.
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Always use heat as a last resort, but a little might help it out. No matter what you do, though, you've got to be able to get a good bite on what's left of the bolt.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

It really depends on the circumstances. If the bolt broke off by being over-tightened, or while being tightened due to a faut in the bolt, then it often happens that the load has come off the threads and they will turn out with very little effort... perhaps even the fingers. If the bolt was too long and bottomed out, (because there was no pulley on there for instance and the bolt was being used to turn the motor), or, if the bolt was just rusted in there with old age, then it will be tight still and will need more work to get it out. There is no point rushing in and drilling or heating if that isn't nessecary. First try turning it with a small punch. If that doesn't work then drill it and use a ezyout of the proper size. If the correct size ezyout doesn't get it to move then try a little heat applied quickly to the crank and not the bolt, which means get a big tip or a gas axe and apply a lot of heat briefly. If a little bit of heat doesn't do it then drill it right out to a thin shell and either unwind the shell or retap it. Often if you drill them right out till there is only a thin shell left then they loosen and come out easily.... this does require accurate centering of the drill of course, which can be difficult with a crookedly broken bolt. Always try the easiest, least likely to do more damage option first.
nickk248
In Neutral

Post by nickk248 »

Ok im goint to try that. How do you remove the front bumper.

And by the way i think the bolt was over tightened because it broke as i was driving the car.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

get a small pin punch and grind it into a tiny cold chisel. Dont make the angle too sharp. Get a small hammer and use the chisel to tap a little on the top side of the broken bolt in a leftwards direction, then give it a few taps at the bottom in a rightwards direction. Keep doing that for a few minutes and see if it moves at all. If it moves at all then you are going to get it, just keep moving around hitting it in different places so you don't end up chiseling away the steel too much.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

First off, did you break the bolt trying to loosen it or trying to tighten it?

In the case of the latter, then I agree with log1call. The bolt probably didn't break cleanly, so there's a ridge or pit or some other imperfection in the bolt remnant that will likely allow you to grab ahold of it so to speak and slowly twist it out.

Like log1call said, now that the head's broken off, there's virtually no torque on the bolt remnant, so you don't need much force to get it out.

I've broken several bolts off in various places, and I've always managed to use a pick against an imperfection in the bolt remnant to slowly unscrew it.

Indeed, spray it plenty with penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two. You should be able to get it out without drilling or other extreme tactics.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
nickk248
In Neutral

Post by nickk248 »

DerFahrer wrote:First off, did you break the bolt trying to loosen it or trying to tighten it?

In the case of the latter, then I agree with log1call. The bolt probably didn't break cleanly, so there's a ridge or pit or some other imperfection in the bolt remnant that will likely allow you to grab ahold of it so to speak and slowly twist it out.

Like log1call said, now that the head's broken off, there's virtually no torque on the bolt remnant, so you don't need much force to get it out.

I've broken several bolts off in various places, and I've always managed to use a pick against an imperfection in the bolt remnant to slowly unscrew it.

Indeed, spray it plenty with penetrating oil and let it sit for a day or two. You should be able to get it out without drilling or other extreme tactics.
The bolt broke as i was driving the car. I would think that it was because i over tightened it.

I wont be able to try anything until march because i am away at school now.

Thanks for the help.