Aircraft landing lights?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Aircraft landing lights?

Post by Apex3 »

Anyone wire up aircraft landing lights as rally lights? Someone was gonna try it on an e30, but I don't think it ever panned out. I know they're 13v, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal. You can buy 4 of them off ebay for $25, and of course you'd have to fab up some sort of housing for them.

This was the first one to pop up
ebay link

I'm not really sure exactly how bright they'd be though, seems like they'd be really bright, but you never know I guess...The idea was to wire them as high beams, since the high beams are pretty worthless on this car. Also if I went another route and used some headlamps, or even rally lights, would it be legal to use them as fogs? Assuming they are mounted on the grill.

I'm trying to limit my spending A LOT on this car, I don't have the income I did when I had the e30(read, no income)
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

I had some on my old 4-Runner, 250 watt 13V bulbs, which I mounted in chrome 5" bullets I found at a truck sports shop on Long Island; they have a sealed-beam light held in with a rubber grommet, you replace that with the aircraft light, which is a halogen bulb, mounted inside a 5" housing, identical to the sealed beam.

Amazon.com has a couple of them left, two in black and four in chrome, I haven't seen them anywhere else recently...

Amazon Link

If you want something brighter than 100W, I can get you the 250W version of those bulbs for $10 each, you'll need some 40 amp relays and heavier wiring for them... two of them will turn about a mile of dark pavement into broad daylight.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
g20sleeperjdm
First Gear

Post by g20sleeperjdm »

Aerotech wrote:I had some on my old 4-Runner, 250 watt 13V bulbs, which I mounted in chrome 5" bullets I found at a truck sports shop on Long Island; they have a sealed-beam light held in with a rubber grommet, you replace that with the aircraft light, which is a halogen bulb, mounted inside a 5" housing, identical to the sealed beam.

Amazon.com has a couple of them left, two in black and four in chrome, I haven't seen them anywhere else recently...

Amazon Link

If you want something brighter than 100W, I can get you the 250W version of those bulbs for $10 each, you'll need some 40 amp relays and heavier wiring for them... two of them will turn about a mile of dark pavement into broad daylight.
interested in 250w where can you get those for $10 each?
1992 Legacy SS_5spd
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Not a bad idea. I think I'd like to wire some facing backwards through the rear window.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

:lol: ^^^ You got that right! Behind a flip-down licence plate, maybe...

g20sleeperjdm wrote: interested in 250w where can you get those for $10 each?
You send me $10, and I send you a 250W light bulb. :D Private stock.
Plus shipping, of course, $4.00 and $1.00 per additional bulb.

P-mail me if you want some lights.

These are G.E. bulbs, by the way, and you need ring terminals to hook them up, terminal screws are included.
Jerry

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Wouldn't you want more of a flood light then spot light.......or a combination of both for rally.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

hey im not sure how savey you are around planes but its basically a GE flood light bulb. get some hella, or piaa pencil beams.
1993 legacy ss "Shela"
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I don't know planes at all, haha. I'm just trying to look for the cheapest way, and these seem like they'd be overkill, which is perfect :twisted: I don't have much money to spend, so everything I do is gonna be like $10 mods. Don't worry, I'm not gonna start putting APC intakes and crap on it, just cheap things that won't hurt anything.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Those look just like the bulbs we used to put in the light bars on the fire trucks. Don't know the wattage, but we got them at the local auto parts store. They weren't very expensive.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I was ready to click buy on some on ebay, but saw they were 28V :( anyone know where I can get 250W 13V cheap? Or if they even exist?
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Apex3 wrote:I was ready to click buy on some on ebay, but saw they were 28V :( anyone know where I can get 250W 13V cheap? Or if they even exist?
Unfortunately most aircraft apps are 28V... the huge frisbee-size landing lights are 115V. I have access to a particular bulb that is 14V, only used on large commercial airliners.

Send me $10 for each light, as many as you want. Paypal to mccavittj@yahoo.com Shipping $5 + $1 ea additional bulb

Rated 250W at 13.6V... (your alternator should be putting this voltage out normally) Will give you a nice tan. 4.5" diameter (roughly) You WILL need relays.

They look just like this one; but with larger Halogen inner bulb

Jerry

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Awesome! I will do that. I PMed you and you didn't answer so I was trying to look elsewhere, or maybe I thought I PMed you and didn't, I don't know.

How long will you have them for? I think I'm just gonna get two right now, but depending on how it goes I might want as many as 5.

Aww hell, I'll just get 3 for now. Sending money right now
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Not trying to steal your thunder Aero but, those can be had at any good auto-parts warehouse as "worklights" meant for off-highway equipment and such.
Be aware that they're sensitive to vibration and emit a bunch of heat.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

epicfail wrote:Not trying to steal your thunder Aero but, those can be had at any good auto-parts warehouse as "worklights" meant for off-highway equipment and such.
No skin off me, man. :D I've never seen 'em outside the airport. And yeah, they do get hot!
Jerry

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Did you get my payment? Lemme know when you send them out. Also someone on bimmerforums was asking for your email address, he wants some lights for his boat, is it okay if I give him your paypal email? Or a different one?
epicfail wrote:Not trying to steal your thunder Aero but, those can be had at any good auto-parts warehouse as "worklights" meant for off-highway equipment and such.
I've never seen them anywhere, and this is much cheaper than anyone else is selling the lights for, so I'm not too concerned about where else I might be able to get them. But thanks for the tips, this is just a stupid little project for me, it's not like I'm actually going to be doing forest stages at night with them or anything
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Got it, thanks... Picking them up tonight. No problem with sharing the address. What's he doing, setting up a night dive rig or something?
Jerry

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

No idea, he just said the HIDs aren't cutting it anymore
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Sorry forgot to tell you, got the lights last week, thanks! Now to work on figuring out mounting(mostly the pod), then I'll figure out the wiring.
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

Used to use these on old 60s cars with 4 headlights. Just replace the passenger side high beam with one of these and put a toggle on the ground so you could turn it off when in public.

GREAT for late night bombing runs!
Dave

Post by Apex3 »

Redlined wrote:Used to use these on old 60s cars with 4 headlights. Just replace the passenger side high beam with one of these and put a toggle on the ground so you could turn it off when in public.

GREAT for late night bombing runs!
Yea some people on bimmerforums were telling me it was somewhat popular back in the day. I tried to hook them up just to see how bright they were, but the wire was too small gauge so I couldn't tell, and almost melted the wire, lol.
nosyt
Second Gear

Re: Aircraft landing lights?

Post by nosyt »

PART#:GE-4313 13VOLT 250WATT

;)
sobe_death
In Neutral

Post by sobe_death »

Those things are awesomely bright, but their rated life is only 25 hours :(
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Thanks nosyt, but I already have 3 of them!

Right now I haven't a clue how I'm going to mount them, the whole idea was a cool cheap project so I don't wanna go out and spend $100 on housings for it, gotta find a way to improvise.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

The issue with these is the voltage draw, as well as the heat. If you put these is a housing near other parts, the radiant heat will begin to melt stuff.
I recommend only using them above 35 mph so you have the air cooling them.
I had a friend who used these in the back 40 due to a lot of deer. We could cook an egg on them if he turned them on.
Also, they melted some plastic nearby when he first installed them.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

dscoobydoo wrote:The issue with these is the voltage draw, as well as the heat. If you put these is a housing near other parts, the radiant heat will begin to melt stuff.
I recommend only using them above 35 mph so you have the air cooling them.
I had a friend who used these in the back 40 due to a lot of deer. We could cook an egg on them if he turned them on.
Also, they melted some plastic nearby when he first installed them.
I know, I'll probably only be using one at a time anyway because of the voltage draw, they're 20amps, and alternators are rated at 60amps...

Anyways, finally found something to mount them in!

Dog bowls! :lol: $4 a piece. Everything from here should be cake, it's surprisingly hard finding something that's the right shape and size, they fit almost perfectly inside. Now I'm gonna have a trash can grill and dog bowl lights :shock:

I can make rings for the front, to hold them in, in the metal shop here, then I'll either bolt or clip the two rings in place, drill a hole or two in the back for wires, and a hole in the bottom for a bolt to mount them to the car. Then I'm either gonna have my friend make a light bar for me, or temporarily just get something in place to mount them, just gotta deal with wiring after that.