Wiring up a turbo timer?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Wiring up a turbo timer?

Post by Apex3 »

I searched but didn't find anything that really helped. My friend gave me a turbo timer/boost controller/gauge, and I want to wire up the timer, I know it's not necessary, but it was free, and seems like it would be nice to have just as a precaution. Problem is all I have is the box with two sets of 6 wires coming off it, and what looks like a plug for a vacuum hose, no instructions or anything, so I don't know what wire does what, the colors don't seem to have any meaning...

It's a Swoosh Auto Technic(I know, nice brand huh? lol) No serial numbers or anything, just says musical auto timer boost/turbo.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

And you're going to trust the Happy Fun Time musical turbo timer with running your motor while you walk away from your car??
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

LOL, well, my friend was running it on his 06 STi for a while, and he's heard about them and seems to trust them, so I guess so.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Ok so I found out more about the company and apparently it's pretty big in Japan. But I found this thread about wiring it up, would it be the same for a 96 Legacy as it is for a 91 turbo? I don't wanna screw anything up.

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8961
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If your really worried about making a mistake, look for a turbo timer harness adapter for a '93-'96 (V1/V2) WRX/STI. Those are the same as our Legacys.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I got it all wired up now, but I have an issue. I can't get it to actually work basically. It turns on when the car turns on, and it's set at 30 seconds, but when you turn the key off, the car stays for a split second and turns off when the stereo does.

My friend thinks it's something with the ignition wire, which I'm inclined to agree, I hooked up the yellow wire on the timer to the red ignition wire in the car, but that should be right from what I can see?

There is a difference when it's turned on and off of when the car turns off, it just doesn't stay on for any length of time.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

1. Find out from a REAL source not another BBS what the wire colors mean on your turbo timer. Here's a crazy idea, check the manufactures website!
2. Look Here for what wires to connect to the car.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

magicmike wrote:1. Find out from a REAL source not another BBS what the wire colors mean on your turbo timer. Here's a crazy idea, check the manufactures website!
2. Look Here for what wires to connect to the car.
Awesome! Thanks! Now why don't YOU try looking for that website, and maybe you'll see why I'm using another forum

And I've already got the diagram for the car, but thanks(this one's not sarcastic).
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I'm not wasting my time looking up your no name turbo timer. I'd be more causious about blindly hooking stuff up to your electrical system.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Were you looking at the pigtail wires coming out of the ignition switch? Or at the wires on the car's harness that plugs into the ignition switch pigtail? Because I'm not sure if the colors match up. Use the wires on the car side of that connection.

And you've got a good solid connection to each of the four ignition switch wires?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

magicmike wrote:I'm not wasting my time looking up your no name turbo timer. I'd be more causious about blindly hooking stuff up to your electrical system.
My point was that I tried that already, they don't seem to have a website, this was the closest I could find. The guy was just reading out of the manual for his of the same brand.
vrg3 wrote:Were you looking at the pigtail wires coming out of the ignition switch? Or at the wires on the car's harness that plugs into the ignition switch pigtail? Because I'm not sure if the colors match up. Use the wires on the car side of that connection.

And you've got a good solid connection to each of the four ignition switch wires?
The car side, you're right that the ignition side has different colors.

I have a solid connection, but I'll look at it again today to make sure. I'm gonna try actually hooking it up to the ebrake too, I don't see why it would be different from a permanant live or ground but we'll see.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, you didn't connect the parking brake wire? You lied when you said you got it "all wired up" then. :P

Well that's it right there -- the timer's only supposed to keep the engine running if you put the handbrake on. With the handbrake off, it does exactly what you're seeing it do.

Connect the wire. I suppose you could just ground the wire instead, but you probably should just do it right, so that the engine shuts off if you put the handbrake down.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

vrg3 wrote:Oh, you didn't connect the parking brake wire? You lied when you said you got it "all wired up" then. :P

Well that's it right there -- the timer's only supposed to keep the engine running if you put the handbrake on. With the handbrake off, it does exactly what you're seeing it do.

Connect the wire. I suppose you could just ground the wire instead, but you probably should just do it right, so that the engine shuts off if you put the handbrake down.
Well that's the thing though, I didn't connect it to the brake, but I did connect it to a ground, I also tried a live, and neither one changed the way it shut down. I know I should hook it up right, but I'm more concerned with making it work ATM

I have it wired up like this right now, if there's nothing wrong with this, then it has to be one of the connections, or maybe even just a broken timer...

Turbo timer_______Ignition harness
Yellow(Ignition)____Red(Ignition)
White(ACC)_______Red/Yellow(ACC)
Red(B+)__________Black/Yellow(Constant 12+)
Gray(E-brake)_____Nothing/tried on live and ground
Black(Ground)_____Ground
Last edited by Apex3 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Try hooking it up right. The turbo timer might not keep the engine running if it thinks you haven't driven the car.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

But from the two links above does the wiring look right aside from that? I'll try hooking it up to the ebrake right and get back to you.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, the remainder of the wiring does look right to me.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I think what vrg3 is trying to say is that it wants to see the parking brake cycle.

Engine start>Parking brake off>Parking brake on>Turbo timer enabled.

A lot of newer devices have such logic to protect the manufactures from us litigatus Americans.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Yay you win! It lives! I didn't realize these things were that smartThanks, I guess this should be a lesson to just do it right to begin with instead of trying to simulate it. Now I gotta find what wire to hook the boost controller to, but that's for another day