knock fixed!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wfoote
In Neutral

knock fixed!

Post by wfoote »

When I first got my 91SS it came with what ultimately turned out to be a broken piston ring land. After changing the piston there was a slight knock. I figured it was a skirt knock as it came and went.

Recently on a cold start the thing was really knocking loud and I expected it was the beginning of the end. So I got the car home which is about 35 miles away from civilization. (I like my privacy)

I tried pulling the injector plugs off one at a time and couldn't get the knock to change so in my mind that ruled out a main bearing or rod bearing.

The knock seemed to be coming from the front of the engine so how to pinpoint the knock.. I live in a state that believes the 2nd amendment favors individual rights to keep and bear arms and I noticed a long rifle cleaning rod. These things make awesome stethescopes all you need to do is get your ear near the handle. I started listening to various parts of the engine and I placed the end of the cleaning rod on the water pump outlet by the thermostat and wow, the knocking hurt my ear.

I am now thinking wow, water pumps knock??? So the next morning, I restart the car and of course the knock is now very faint. Since I do live so far away from town I can't risk a breakdown so I take the accessory belts off and the timing belt covers off. Nothing looks amiss so I restart the engine and probe things again. Of course it isn't knocking at all now.

I decide to take the timing belt off and check the pulleys. Guess what, when I removed the bolts on the tensioner one of the bolts came out with the threads!!!! I found a longer bolt which torqued nicely and voila, knock gone.

I had been fretting over this for several months now, to celebrate I de-snorked the car. Gotta love the rumble and the smooth quiet idle.
84 GL Wagon - sold
84 DL Wagon - sold
92 L Wagon - sold
96 LS Wagon
93 SS daily driver
1946 BC-12D Taylorcraft restoration (airplane)
Me - retired engineer and pilot / flight instructor
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Wow, nice find. Add that one to the fault isolation manual... I'll bet more than a few people would have yanked the engine or sold the car.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Nice work.

I had one of those moments with my beater wagon. I had pulled the motor for a clutch, timing belt, oil pump reseal, etc. Put it back together to hear a horrid knock from the front of the motor when I was burping the cooling system. I went as far as to pull the timing covers off only to backtrack and find the AC tensioner pulley bearing bad bad, and hitting the timing cover. Then there was a big *whew*
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

My parent's old MPV had a crazy knock @ 1 time that would go away @ certain RPMS so I thought idler pulley.
A local mechanic who happens to own a machine shop said the motor was dead, & would need to be pulled, torndown, inspected, & rebuilt.

We changed the timing belt + idler pulleys & the knock was gone!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD