Thust bearings and surfaces

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Thust bearings and surfaces

Post by PhyrraM »

There are very few things 'on the net' I take at face value. There are, however, a few people that have earned my trust. Such as Matt, Matt, Vikash and others on other forums. I read that early phase 2 EJ25 cranks were supposedly machined with both #3 and #5 thrust surfaces.

i picked up a crank from an '01 EJ251. It appears to be machined for both thrusts, but the #3 thrust (never used) has machining marks. They *feel* smooth, I can't catch a nail on them. However, the #5 'used' thrust is virtually a mirror.

"used" #5 journal

"Fresh" #3 journal

My question is...Was the #5 journal polished from the use of the motor? Did it start out looking like #3?

Or....Was #3 left unfinished by the factory and I need to have it polished before installing it.

*NOTE*, I have not properly checked endplay yet, but a quick check with a feeler it seems to be in spec.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Thrusts normaly have the same finish as the crank journals.

That thrust looks far too rough for a bearing to run on.
If you polish those marks out you are going to need oversize thrusts.

I would suspect it was never intended as a thrust.
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

The best picture I have of my crank doesn't show it very well.

But that's an EJ22T crank and it only has one thrust bearing on the crank which is #3.

The picture is bad but it doesn't look nearly as scored as yours is because you can actually see a reflection in it.
-Doug Wilson
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

It's possible that Subaru essentially just took the Phase I crank design and started machining #5 thrust surfaces in them for Phase II, thus leaving an unused thrust surface on #3.

I honestly am not 100% sure what the question is, but just so you know, I've got a couple years at a Subaru dealership, with access to all Subaru official documents and specifications, and I can definitively say that the Phase II engines have a thrust bearing in the #5 position and not the #3 position. So, if you want to rebuild the motor according to Subaru specifications, put the thrust bearing at #5 and a regular bearing at #3.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I have no doubt about the factory thrust positions. I'm trying to work around them. :wink:

My goal is simply to build a 'classic' 2.35 stroker. I am trying to use components I already have. The main thing I have is a very nice set of Pauter rods sized for the phase II 52mm journals. I haven't had success in finding affordable phase I rods to replace them with.

I am trying to find a *supposed* phase II (52mm) crank that is factory machined for both #3 and #5 thrusts. I would chalk it up to internet rumor, but the crank was referenced by people whose info is normally trustworthy.

Either way, I'm looking for a machine shop I trust that can machine one of my blocks for a proper phase II thrust location.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack