The Hippo - Prepping for an EJ20G swap!

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Fkyx
Third Gear

The Hippo - Prepping for an EJ20G swap!

Post by Fkyx »

I just recently started tear-down in preparation for the swap, and now have a pretty okay camera to document it with. To be clear: I have VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY little mechanical experience. The first time I touched anything in my car was when I changed the timing belt and seals not that long ago. I'm jumping into something quite ambitious here, but I feel like I have a decent enough base of knowledge and all of the resources necessary to get me through this. So here it is! The Hippo: Jillian is her name.

Day 1
Okay... so first of all, I had a dent on the driver side front fender from a day when I was trying to be cool. I attempted to slide across the hood, but instead jumped into the side of the car and left a pretty large mark. I wanted to remove the fenders, anyway... so I went ahead with it. Supposed to remove the front bumper first, but after an hour and a half of struggle with the bumper, I figured out how to get the fenders off on their own.

There was a LOT of dirt/dry mud left from when I broke it. Whoops.

Doing my best to avoid removing the bumper, I proceeded with my first mod:

Looks a little less grimey. I'll clean this up more as the project progresses. So I decided it's time to remove the front bumper...
Here's my ghetto lighting for when I removed the headlights:

Half an hour to 45 minutes and a LOT of frustration later...

Yes... I used the hammer, too - a LOT. And I found this:

With the fenders and bumper off, I could put the wheels back on so I'd be able to work inside the engine bay. First project is disassembling the intake system; an easy task to end the day.

Day 2
Here's an example of some of the horrible electrical issues I'm going to have to take care of. This is how they installed the Fuel Cut Defender. I'll be splicing these wires for a more permanent solution:

Definitely going to need to contact MRT for a replacement manual. I have no idea what to do with it. lol

While I'm waiting for the coolant to drain, here's a photo of the winter tires I'm using... in case any of you were wondering. Hankook Winter i*Pikes. Pretty good.

Sorry for the horrible pictures... I haven't quite learned what little there is with my new camera yet.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Build thread section...

Are you doing a build or just showing pictures?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

More progress means more pretty horrible photos!

So today didn't quite go as I had planned. Decided to remove the intake manifold before I got around to anything else. What a BITCH. Power steering lines, turbo inlets, harnesses... all sorts of shit got in my way. It took me an hour to get it out AFTER unbolting it. I broke a few brittle hoses, but they're replaceable... and I won't need them for quite a while.

AC Delete:

Intercooler and starter motor delete:

Leaky power steering system?

Anyone else think this is horrible placement for the coolant reservoir?

Left the harness in there because I couldn't find my 11mm wrench to remove a sensor. :(

Opened up my knuckle (I know you can't see it, it's hardly a scratch lol) and used a bandaid to cover it up while I continued to work. Makes for a nice little... tan line?

I promise better photos when the new engine goes in. lol
Last edited by Fkyx on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

are you planning on pulling the motor? If so why are you busting your ass working on it so much in the car?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Yeah, I'll be pulling it.

It's my first time snooping around in the engine bay, really. So I really want to get a good look at where everything goes before i pull the block. Plus, I have all sorts of time before the new engine will be in... so why not? I'm going to end up cracking the old engine in the future, anyway. :)

I'm also just following what my Haynes manual says. lol
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Just my opinion but its easier to take all that apart with the motor on a stand or a bench and not bent over the fender or bumper beam the whole time. Also, chances are that when you rebuild the motor or put a new one in you will have to rig it differenly on the cherry picker and it would have been good to have the experience on where to lag it and balance it when you took it out. Also, i hope you are taking a TON of pictures and some advice for a first timer, every bolt you take out stick it back a few threads where it came out. Don't keep bags of parts or trays. you will forget trust me, i learned that the hard way the first time! lol
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

magicmike wrote:Also, i hope you are taking a TON of pictures and some advice for a first timer, every bolt you take out stick it back a few threads where it came out. Don't keep bags of parts or trays. you will forget trust me, i learned that the hard way the first time! lol
It's all good. I've been replacing bolts just like you mentioned. I may be a first timer, but I'm definitely not going at this unprepared or ignorant.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Hey, i'm definately not an expert, just looking out...
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

magicmike wrote:Hey, i'm definately not an expert, just looking out...
And I appreciate it! That's why I'm posting on the forums. Like I said... I'm just doing what the Haynes manual tells me to do, and I don't mind bending over into the engine bay. Sometimes I even go ahead and sit inside of it. lol
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Personally, while itis a bitch to pull the intake manifold first, I always do it before pull motors. But thats just me. I like being able to bolt the engine hoist onto the heads.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Fkyx wrote:Anyone else think this is horrible placement for the coolant reservoir?
Sometimes it has to go where it fits. But yes, in general, directly above the hotside of the turbo is not a good place for a coolant resevior.

Also, its much easier to access the torque converter bolts with the intake mani out of the way. If you're stuck with an auto, that is.

Good documentation. Sometimes that helps with reassembly.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Can I avoid removing power steering fluid if I'm just moving the pump and reservoir out of the way?

*EDIT*
Nevermind. I got it.

Trying to get the turbo unbolted... with very little luck. Previous owner really torqued it to the downpipe when they installed the exhaust. Might need a second hand....
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Just figured I'd let you know (if you do not already know) that the EJ20G will plug right up to ej22t wiring & run fine...
You just have to use the ej22t cam & crank sensors on the Ej20G if it is out of a WRX.

When you want to get the proper EJ20G program in the ECU you could just get the Revtronix Chip with a EJ20G MAP that will be out soon.
You'll have a swap with 0 wiring this way (not to mention your EJ20G wiring will bring you a few bucks on RS25)...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Okay. When I exchanged emails with Barrett at All Wheels Driven, here's what he replied with:
I can get you an early (90-95) 20g Turbo for ....
Does this mean it's from a Legacy?
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I assume you mean motor.
As No Subarus came with 20G turbos from the factory, he probably meant 16G if you were talking turbos.

The early EJ20G motors out of Legacys have a strange valve-train that folks generally stay away from.
Get a EJ20G out of a WRX & be happy.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Got the engine unbolted from the transaxle... sort of. I can't find the second top-side engine-transaxle bolt. I found the one on the passenger side, but the driver side? The engine will move freely by hand, though... so maybe the driver side bolt goes through the starter, which I already removed?

Otherwise, I'm ready to pull.

Also called Barrett and talked to him. No EJ20G from his first supplier... he says he'll call his other supplier(s) on Monday. I'm very excited but also quite nervous. Hopefully he can find something for me.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Yes, the last bolt is the starter bolt.

Did you pull the clutch release arm shaft? It's the biggest first timer oversight.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Barrett will find you something...

If he has further trouble...tell him to call me...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I am pretty sure there are a few EJ20G swaps on ebay right now.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Really only looking for the longblock sans transaxle. Unfortunately the ebay specials all come with the transaxle, and as a result fall WAY outside of my budget after shipping. I realize I can resell the transaxle, but it'd be too tempting to swap it in instead. I can't afford that, and the transaxle in the car now won't sell for enough to offset the cost of... well, anything.

Then there's the issue of shipping. I'm hoping to pick the longblock up from Barrett and save myself the cost of shipping.