WTF? Wristband on master cyl.

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

WTF? Wristband on master cyl.

Post by n2x4 »

Ok,

I just picked up some 05 WRX calipers (I think I did ok - $110 shipped with pads).

Anyways, the guy tells me to "bleed the brakes and add a wristband over the master cylinder reservoir to keep moisture out"

Wristband over the master cyl? Is this guy for real? I don't get how that will keep moisture out. I get the idea but can't imagine that it would be that absorbent.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

ya weird, that reservoir is the best sealing/closing thing in the engine bay......
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
cheno SLO
In Neutral

Post by cheno SLO »

JDM ya`ll :-D

Looks great in any engine compartment
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are they fucking kidding......?

I challenge someone to tell me how moisture is going to not get past that "wristband" yet get past a rubber seal.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

The wristband is a vital component of the braking system. It's sole purpose is to provide an additional barrier to moisture. However, and this is the big one, it has to be a StopTich brand wristband. The StopTich wrist bands have a special compound in them that, when heated with the latent heat in the engine bay, cause them to swell slightly. This swelling causes the fiber weave to close up creating an air tight seal over the joint between the cap and the resevior. Without this seal, moisture will work its way into the system through a very chemically complex process called "reverse dot-mosis". Upgrading the brake fluid from a standard 3/4 DOT fluid up to a 5.55 DOT fluid will slow this process. It is important to note that it only slows the process, does not stop it.

This is why the wristband is so critical. Truthfully I am amazed that none of the other technical guru's have heard of this!!!
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Now...I am not a ricer and I am by no means defending those stupid things...

But their actual purpose is:

In Japan, many of the race tracks require those things to absorb any excess brake fluid from heat expansion or extreme cornering that may leak, so that it does not end up on the track.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

555BCTurbo wrote:But their actual purpose is:

In Japan, many of the race tracks require those things to absorb any excess brake fluid from heat expansion or extreme cornering that may leak, so that it does not end up on the track.
This I could see.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Ah. Thanks Nick, I can buy that.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

At least it would keep the res cap less dusty in between JDM track sessions.
90 L+ wgn
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

555BCTurbo wrote:Now...I am not a ricer and I am by no means defending those stupid things...

But their actual purpose is:

Best answer I've heard. Lateral G's FTW!
SUBARUEHS Racing
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

On motorcycles we used them to keep sunlight off of the clear reservoirs, as sunlight breaks down brake fluid.

Motorcycles are obviously faster than cars, so their secret must be the wristband.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

BAC5.2 wrote:On motorcycles we used them to keep sunlight off of the clear reservoirs, as sunlight breaks down brake fluid.

Motorcycles are obviously faster than cars, so their secret must be the wristband.
and you can see a motorcycles engine, so isiggest that the hood be removed to achieve maximum velocity.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
A1Fiddler
First Gear

Post by A1Fiddler »

greg donovan wrote:
BAC5.2 wrote:On motorcycles we used them to keep sunlight off of the clear reservoirs, as sunlight breaks down brake fluid.

and you can see a motorcycles engine, so isiggest that the hood be removed to achieve maximum velocity.
Yes, and don't forget to remove 2 wheels when racing. Your best bet is the left front, and right rear.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

will a slap wristband work? I have a few from back in the day.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Post by siouxbe »

during track days and really hard driving the 'wrist bands' are to prevent the hot brake fluid from expanding and leaking out all over the track, thus the terry cloth absorbs the fluid that may leak past the cap.
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

siouxbe wrote:during track days and really hard driving the 'wrist bands' are to prevent the hot brake fluid from expanding and leaking out all over the track, thus the terry cloth absorbs the fluid that may leak past the cap.

You must not have read my response previously
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Yeah I've heard that before even though I change my brake fluid once a year anyhow and it shouldn't go bad in that short period of time. This just seems like a poser thing to me that serves no purpose...
-Doug Wilson