STI Strut/Spring takeoffs

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tmarcel
First Gear

STI Strut/Spring takeoffs

Post by tmarcel »

I know this had been discussed here before but I am pressed on time and don't see what I'm looking for with a couple of quick searches.

I have a nearly new set of 2006 STI spring/strunt/mount combo for front and rear that I'm going to put on a 91 Legacy. I remember reading here that some had to modify the front struts bolt holes to get the camber to be acceptable on the fronts. So if I wanted to run about -1.50 in the front would I still need to do this or will they bolt right in and the mild camber can be set?

Next, I'm guessing the rear strut mount needs to be swapped for the 91 style that was in the car? Is this true?

Last question (yes I know, I could've found the answer to this one quite easily but since we're at it), what are my option for a rear swap bar? Aside from the fact that the one in the car is puny, it also has a bent mount. I need to swap it out with something else.
1.) '02 WRX-2482cc-TD06H-20G-FMIC (just sold)
2.) '90 Legacy-2.5 turbo, VF39, Haltech E8 in-hand - waiting for the 5mt swap
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The '05+ STI front struts are wider at the mounting point than our Legacies. Some have used spacers to make up the difference, but I haven't heard how well it works.

Yes, in addition, you need to make some accomodations for the camber. Look up Jamal's posts and I'm sure you will find what you need.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

Thanks guys that was helpful. I followed one of the links posted below and found this one. Exactly what I was looking for, not just need to figure out the diff between the 06 vs 04 strut diff if there is any.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I have 04' stuff and here's my writeup thread - http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37437 .

I couldn't tell you the full differences between 04' and 06' though so I'm afraid I'm no help there.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

there is a big difference between 04 and 05-07.

The 05-07 front struts don't fit.

This is because the front hubs and bearings were upgraded for 05 and everything is bigger.

Really, the only way to get them to fit is to find a set of 04 (or older inverted sti) front struts, and swap everything over, which is exactly what I did on my new car.

Hey maybe I should fix all those broken images in my thread about 04 sti suspension. Or I could make a new one I suppose.
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

jamal wrote:there is a big difference between 04 and 05-07.

The 05-07 front struts don't fit.

This is because the front hubs and bearings were upgraded for 05 and everything is bigger.

Really, the only way to get them to fit is to find a set of 04 (or older inverted sti) front struts, and swap everything over, which is exactly what I did on my new car.

Hey maybe I should fix all those broken images in my thread about 04 sti suspension. Or I could make a new one I suppose.
So not even doing some modding to the strut will make do? I ran out of time today with another project so I didn't have time to touch the car yet.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

well, the flanges on the strut are farther apart, as are the holes. So you would need fill the holes, re-drill the strut and put a spacer in there to take up the gap.
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

i should of kept my 04 sti strut assembly =p and the 06 Assembly will collect more dust in the closet haha
tmarcel
First Gear

Post by tmarcel »

Well good news is that I installed the newer style STI struts/springs/tops. I had to modify the top holes on the fronts as they were way off as previously mentioned. The camber is a little jacked up right now but there's room to adjust it to be correct. The rears fit fine other than having to drill new holes for the top hats. I wanted to use the STI ones since the takeoffs are nearly new.

Bad news: 1.) is that I didn't take any pictures for you guys :oops: 2.) I'm trying to get my hands on a GC Impreza and will pull the motor and struts/springs back out and sell the Legacy at some point :-D
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

i already have a set from an 06 sti. thinking of using the rear and 06 2.5i front struts. anyone see a problem here?