Damn hoses on the valve covers

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Damn hoses on the valve covers

Post by ericem »

How the heck do I get them off? They seem as hard as a rock. Replacing the valve covers gaskets and all so I really need to get them off so I can get the cover out and clean it up etc. I sprayed some rust break away and ill let it sit overnight hopefully the hoses will soften. Should I try using a hair dryer or possibly ill buy a heat gun and see if it comes off then?? Suggestions would be great thanks.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
green91
First Gear

Post by green91 »

I just went through the same thing and broke nearly all of them. unfortuntely rubber + oil + time = HARD lol.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

If they're that hard, you might as well cut them off, because they'll never seal up well again even if you get them off in one piece.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Any part numbers for the hoses?
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

just take a 90 deg pick and open it up a little bit around the circumference of the hose. then hold it open with said pick and spray some lube up in there.

sure they are easy to just replace though. i'm a cheap bastard sometimes, and all mine came off ok even with 150k and 190k respectively, and small zipties work just fine to hold them on again.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I think I will do the same. If I am unsuccesful I just found the part numbers. So I will probably order them if they are cheap.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
green91
First Gear

Post by green91 »

Rather than order oem ones, i think going to replace the PCV system with a catch can on my car.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Heater hose works too, ya know...it isn't as pretty as OEM, but it's around $1/foot and will actually seal, not just "stay on"...;)
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

can you get your hands on some silicone tubing. do not use heater hose. tranny oil line hose may last
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

RJ93SS wrote:can you get your hands on some silicone tubing. do not use heater hose. tranny oil line hose may last
Trust me, heater hose will work just fine. No, it isn't rated for oil per se, but it will hold up for a long, long time with just oil vapors and very small amounts of fluid going through it. I have cars here that have had the heater-hose breather lines for well over a decade and are still fine, in fact one going on 20 years. Between my cars and the dozens and dozens of mechanics I personally know who do the same thing everyday, nobody's going to change my mind. Just make sure you use good stuff like Gates.

What's funny is that silicone tubing is NOT recommended for oil at all, and sometimes even the packaging expressly states that as well...ever seen how soft and swelled-up an oil-soaked spark plug wire gets? :? Think about that...
-And more!
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

SLODRIVE wrote:
RJ93SS wrote:can you get your hands on some silicone tubing. do not use heater hose. tranny oil line hose may last
Trust me, heater hose will work just fine. No, it isn't rated for oil per se, but it will hold up for a long, long time with just oil vapors and very small amounts of fluid going through it. I have cars here that have had the heater-hose breather lines for well over a decade and are still fine, in fact one going on 20 years. Between my cars and the dozens and dozens of mechanics I personally know who do the same thing everyday, nobody's going to change my mind. Just make sure you use good stuff like Gates.

What's funny is that silicone tubing is NOT recommended for oil at all, and sometimes even the packaging expressly states that as well...ever seen how soft and swelled-up an oil-soaked spark plug wire gets? :? Think about that...
okay, i did my td04/06 i/c swap 6 months ago. the heater hose i used with the green layer in the middle has bulges in it now and feels really soft.

silicone will definitly last longer. but can get oil soaked. a catch can should be used. most of are stock hoses are made with a % of silicone.

the hose you should actually use is called "anti smog/pcv line"

it's made specifically for blow by gases for cars and trucks.

you could also use goodyear "gorilla" line.
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Most OEM hoses have an EPDM rubber coating for heat protection, wihch is not the same as silicone. In the OEM, silicone is normally only used for coolant hoses and for turbocharger hoses; the latter uses silicone for heat resistance and flexibility, and even those deteriorate over time from oil in the intake tract. I have a 5-year old silicone intercooler elbow next to me that was a factory part on Rob's '04 STi. It's all mushy inside from what little oil went through there. I'm not saying there's no such thing as oil-rated silicone line...they do make specially coated lines that can take oil, but all I've ever seen has been CRAZY expensive.

Also, "anti-smog/pcv line" is indeed made for a specific purpose...fuel line! Look on the side of a chunk of line at the parts store, it's printed right on the side. :) It does work well for PCV and the like, but most places don't carry it in the larger sizes.

RJ93SS, are you actually saying your V/C breather hose is bulging after 6 months? That is something I have never seen unless the hose was full of (or covered in) oil the whole time. I normally use the black Gates heater hose for breather applications and don't see that happening.
-And more!
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

the hoses i used for my f pipe look ridiculous, i'll post before and after pics if i can
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Cool. I guess I should clarify that if there's a lot of oil running through it, heater hose won't last too long. Like I said, I have used it with success, but there wasn't really much if any actual liquid running through. My bad :-)
-And more!
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya removed my hoses, they are nice and clean. DID cut them though lol, no way they would flex in any way. The valve covers seals basically crumpled into pieces. Going to get the price on the hoses. If they are alot more pricey then by the foot, ill just go to local parts source and get PCV hose if they have it, or heater hose as mentioned, didn't look to be any oil inside the lines, very dry and clean, just hard as a rock. Technically the one hose going to the intake could pose a vacuum leak I am thinking as well which might have been the reason for my slight flucuating idle? Can't wait till this whole overhaul of the coolant system, seals, belts are all done, and the car gets back on the road!!
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

at least use tranny oil line, it will stand up better than heater hose
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

When I replaced all that crap, I went down to NAPA and asked for a similar diameter fuel-rated line. The stuff they gave me was perfect, and a lot more flexible than the factory hoses.

Don't use heater hose, unless you want to be back replacing them in a few months.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I like the idea of fuel line. Got my valve covers in, I lubed all the seals with motor oil not sure it was necessary? Tried to torque them as evenly as possibly, basically made all the bolts snug. Going to go today or tomorrow to get the tubes. It is alot cheaper that way and I need them for tomorrow, going to get the car back on the road.

Any ideas how important it is to replace the rad hoses? They are pretty soft but there was a bit of a crunch to them. I can not get ahold of the lower hose, but I can get the upper hose. In debate it is another $50 locally in hoses and only the upper one is in stock.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
green91
First Gear

Post by green91 »

I had to remake one of my PCV hoses using fuel line and a plastic t from home depot, worked out great!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I used heater hose originally on my AWIC setup for the catch can. I will be going back and replacing them, as they are very soft and slimey.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm