02WRX Struts on 94ss CLUNK

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Damon
Second Gear

02WRX Struts on 94ss CLUNK

Post by Damon »

Okay so I put a set of wrx struts on the rear of my 94ss and it seems they changed over the top hat but did not put the shim in. Does the shim go directly under the nut or do I have to remove the whole setup and use a spring compressor and tear down the whole setup? :?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

You will most likely need to compress the spring to get the tophat off. The washers/spacers go under the tophat.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Don't try taking that nut off without a compressor on the spring. The weight of the car will be enough to prevent you being hurt but you will have trouble geting the nut back on anyway.
Compressors come in a set of two for just a few bucks these days. Get a set of those (with the money you are going to save by doing it yourself), take the strut out, and the job will be simple and safe. Once you have them you will have them for years and it will make jobs on the suspension simple.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I made the same error. What I did was get washers bigger then the threads and screw it down. I think I put 2 or 3 washers on each tophat in the rear. You need to find the right size though. Should be larger then the hole the shaft goes in.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Damon
Second Gear

Post by Damon »

I'll take a look at it this weekend. I need to replace a ball joint too while I'm getting dirty.
Primeza
In Neutral

Post by Primeza »

I put two 9/16" washers above the tophat, between the tophat and the top nut. It seemed to me the right way to do it because my stock struts had a smaller washer in the same place. You might need a different washer because mine were KYBs. I would think the shaft would be the same in which case they should work. The KYBs do have a larger top nut.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39225
92 Legacy TW - 225k and counting