Will a 2000 ej25 sohc drop right into a 94 legacy wagon?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Zoo Mob
First Gear

Will a 2000 ej25 sohc drop right into a 94 legacy wagon?

Post by Zoo Mob »

I've got a line on a real cheap 2000 ej25 sohc out of a LGT. Will it bolt up to my 94 5sp. manual trans? is this a worthwhile upgrade? I'm not looking to build a hybrid motor or anything, just a nicer, newer motor. Also, what manual trans will work if mine won't. Lastly, are there other components from a 2000 leg gt. that like suspension that are worth getting from this for a 94 wagon?
1993 Legacy L AWD 5-sp wagon
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

it will "bolt " up with no problems. But there are a few things that would need to be done to that motor specifically to ensure reliability.

If either head gasket is leaking or it is the original head gasket, it needs to be replaced. The adhesive used on the original gasket from the factory had a problem holding up with time. Anywhere from 75k to 130k they start to leak, if they havnt already been blown. 2000-2004 sohc 2.5L had these problems. Since subaru realized their problem they have since "superseded" the part number and made a better gasket.

The intake manifold uses a different bolt pattern than earlier subarus. Which is fine, but this means you will need to do modification to the engine wiring harness. The reason is because of IAC (idle air control). The throttle body of the 2000 Leg gt incorporates the IAC into it, and that throttle body needs to be used on that intake manifold specifically. The newer style intake manifold does not have a port to hook up the old style IAC. But i still think you can just rewire the IAC connector on the old wiring harness and use it on the new intake manifold.

TPS(throttle position sensor) might be an issue as to whether or nor you can put it on the newer style throttle body

I think that the fuel injectors might be ok. The original ecu in your 94 will probably be ok with the 270cc injectors off the 00legacy. The computer should be able to pull/add enough fuel to be be able to run at 14.7 : 1 AF. remember that old ECU still thinks its running a 2.2 L

Other than little vauum lines and what not it should work. just use your original 94 legacy wiring harness

The transmission in your old car should be fine, there isnt too much room to improve on, unless you get a six speed out of an sti (spendy and not really worth it for your swap)

Wrx suspension swaps are pretty good and easy for the older legs. There are write ups everywhere on it.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew