jecs maf question

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

jecs maf question

Post by jefferson »

I picked up a jecs maf from the pick and pull in preparation for the stage 1 chip yesterday and to me it looks like it is missing something. There is an area on the interior that is necked down appx. 4mm. all the way around. The downstream side is tapered down as it should be, but the upstream side is just a right angle edge. It almost looks like something should butt up against it. Is this the way all the jecs mafs are or is this one missing something. I would think that edge sticking out would be very detrimental to flow.

Could some people take a look at theirs and tell me if this the way it is supposed to be.

I just thought of another way I can find out. All the cars at the pick and pull had jecs mafs on them. I could just pull several more off and see what they look like.

If anyone has one sitting on a shelf they can look at easily let me know. Thanks.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

FastRust
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

It's the upstream side that has the edge I'm talking about. The downstream side has the taper to it as you can see in the picture. The picture would have to be from the other end of the maf. Thanks for jumping right on that.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

No rush Bro. You are just getting ready to do some mods right? So what's the rush?. I'll have a look at the spare one in my shed for you... TOMORROW!
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I never mentioned anywhere I was in a big rush. This thread is even a couple of months old.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

log1call wrote:No rush Bro. You are just getting ready to do some mods right? So what's the rush?. I'll have a look at the spare one in my shed for you... TOMORROW!
wtf?
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

humor is subject to extreme ambiguity on forums, I think that was an attempt....
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Not to go too far off topic, but what car's came with the Jecs's maf? I dont' suppose the one off my 98 2.5GT is the one I want?
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

ok what the heck is the JECS thing. i went to a pull a part today and i saw something going to the intake that said JECS on it. i have a 89 LEG LS. i dont have one.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

The ss comes with an Hitachi maf that has an aluminum body. There are alot of other models that come with the plastic jecs maf which flows more air. The ecu will not accept a different ecu than what it came with unless you do something like get a revtronic chip that is set up for the jecs.

Jeff
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

however i do have an aluminum (MAP)? sensor on mine. is MAP the older one. i think the previous owner baught it from Kartboy back in the day
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
reddragons
In Neutral

Post by reddragons »

SILINC3R wrote:however i do have an aluminum (MAP)? sensor on mine. is MAP the older one. i think the previous owner baught it from Kartboy back in the day
correct me if i'm wrong, the aluminum version is just the hitachi MAF (mass air flow) not, MAP (manifold absolute pressure)....i think. the mafs, are just a little different.
hmmmmm........ 94 turbo legacy maroon.

1995 impreza L sedan-r.i.p.
1997 cav z24 (seized the motor)
vroom vroom party starter!