Refinish Old Rims?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Refinish Old Rims?

Post by Tommio RS »

Hi Thar. I was wonder who has repainted any stock subaru rims? I have a stock set of 93 legacy ss rims. You know the ones that gen. 1 outbacks ran. Ya those. And they could really use a nice new paint job on them. I was thinking of going bronze as a color, that doesnt seem that crazy. As far as painting skills goes i seem qualified to do my mags.

Questions i have tho:
1. How does one remove ALL the old paint on the rims? Sanding,chemicals?

2. What brand of paints and primers should i use?

Im after here a cheap method of having nice looking rims without bustin the bank.

Aswell here be a link to a picture of my rims:

Link: http://s449.photobucket.com/albums/qq21 ... G_0967.jpg

Thanks
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I did a set of Legacy GT wheels, the snowflake ones. I did them by hand with varying grits of sandpaper, self-etching primer, and prolly the same wheel paint you have in mind. It was a bitch. A lot of prep w/ all those spokes, but yours shouldn't be as bad. If you wanna save some time, and spend a little more scratch, get 'em sandblasted. Otherwise just do like I did: sand, prime, and paint.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm. Ok I know what them rims look like and i can see them being hard to paint nice. I have them more basic less spoked rims, which should be no problem. I found one price tho for sandblasting and paint. $345cnd before taxes. So that is a total rip. I probably could buy the paint,primer,clear for like under $75.

I think just sandblasting them is going to be around $55 a rim.

Thanks for the info.
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
G-unit
In Neutral

Post by G-unit »

have u tryed a panelbeater car painter? thats where i got mine painted
91 facelift RS JDM
Zoo Mob
First Gear

Post by Zoo Mob »

Find a local sandblaster with a do it yourself booth, we've got one here that is $12/hour. Blast thoroughly, rattlecan prime and paint. Voila! Start to finish, less than $50.
1993 Legacy L AWD 5-sp wagon
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Depends what paint you use. I bought PPG for my car and I think one pint was like $80. Just for the base. Is a pint the small cans? It was a small can. I'm no familiar with the sizes of liquid. I wish we were metric here. Standard is so confusing.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

go to home de-pot and rent a sondblaster for a few hours and do them yourself. I did a few sets of 92 Leggy wheels and we use them for rally. Used some shitty paint an ddid a few coats and even after running through all that gravel and beating, they are still not half bad. As for paint, unless you want a very differerent colour that is out fo the ordinary, use the Duplicolor rim paint/primer. I know of a few people that have used it and the rims look great and they have had no problems with chipping, cracking etc. I am going to go this method in a few weeks when I paint my Legacy GT wheels graphite.
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I did that to those same wheels with the same color and they came out well. Only i just gave them a good sanding prior to primer and paint. The paint held up well through a couple rallycrosses with minor chipping on the rears.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
G-unit
In Neutral

Post by G-unit »

all up it cost me $100 for my 17s 2 be painted
91 facelift RS JDM
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

There's varying levels of prep you could use. I'm gonna do mine and I'll probably just wetsand and smooth down everything, prime and paint.

I sprayed my last set with aircraft stripper, stripped it down to bare metal, primed and painted, and it didn't hold up any better than just sanding and painting.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

If you aren't powder coating the rims, you may as well just prep them by scouring up the painted surface with a scotch brite pad, some good primer, a few coats of wheel paint, and clearcoat.

As said above, it'll peel no matter how much you prep it after a while, so why waste $100 and a day or so of your time, when you can do it every year or so for around $20.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
diego0decastro
In Neutral

Post by diego0decastro »

I just rattled can my SS rims. I took some sand paper rough up the wheels, rattled can them then gave them a coat of rattle can clear and they held up pretty good and look realy nice.
'02 WRX WRB WGN
'91 LEG SS
~Eggo~
G-unit
In Neutral

Post by G-unit »

mine was done at a panel shop and havent peeled or anything yet, getting them sand blasted was over $200, but thats in new zealand
91 facelift RS JDM
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

I got a new bead on some 98 outback rims. You know the exact ones that come on the 93 leggy turbo! LOL gotta love Subaru for reusing old rims. But ya. I might be able to get those rims for $100! Ill tell ya later if i get them or not.

If i get them i will paint them up bronze!
I hope i can get them!!