getting close to something funky with my intake.

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scuzzy
Third Gear

getting close to something funky with my intake.

Post by scuzzy »

About 50% complete here. air will be drawn from the passenger headlight area (no headlight installed, of course)

if you didn't notice; this isn't a street car (at all). It's my rallycross/autocross car and it's about 40% till it's first race.

all the pictures from today's events: http://gallery.thelostdays.com/thumbnai ... h=04/05/09

EDIT: This is my first time using a mig welder; before I started working on this piece I did two test pipes and played with some settings a bit, working with burn through and technique - still very much a novice so the welds aren't good.

It doesn't help that in more than one spot I had to work with a half inch gap between two pieces of 18 gauge steel; so the welds were mostly fill work and didn't turn out as smooth as I would have hoped.

I'm also nowhere near grinding down the inside to the finish that I want, just ran out of time last night.

Ones of note:
Last edited by scuzzy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You're not running shop air to manifold, are you? :shock:
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Nice welds :roll:
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

beatersubi wrote:You're not running shop air to manifold, are you? :shock:
Nope, was a quick replacement for an open pcv hole - will end up putting a bolt in there later.

555BCTurbo wrote:Nice welds :roll:
Now see, that's a fantastic attitude there; why? I've had this mig welder a week now, and this is the first actual piece I've been doing. it's 18 gauge steel and I'm just learning (had an arc welder before). I've been grinding them out and rewelding where I've gone wrong, but it doesn't need to be perfect; just seal well.

So what I'm saying is, why are you being a dick about it? I didn't brag about welding, I'm posting for commentary on a small project I'm doing.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

adema2626
Second Gear

Post by adema2626 »

It's Nick lol don't take any offense. Not bad for the first time. But if you don't want that big of gaps i can point you in a direction of a book that you can use to help you lay out the pipe so that you cut it in the right spots so there wont be as much of a gap.

Oh ya what turbo are you running anyways? td04??
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

stock VF-11, will upgrade to VF-22 later on.

I trashed that piece, some grinding went too thin and the bends were difficult to cut with a small cutoff saw.

I went out and bought some 2" ID and a 1.5->2" reducer for the inlet. tomorrow I'm going to pickup some new 16 gauge plate and a chop saw and start over.

I learned on that piece, essentially; so it's no big waste. the biggest problem I had was making the cuts which sometimes ended up with gaps between the material. it's hard to make a square cut on 2.5" pipe with a 3" cutoff wheel (air driven)

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

looks pretty sweet. helps keep the bay open
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost