Bad steering rack?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Fkyx
Third Gear

Bad steering rack?

Post by Fkyx »

If these are signs of a bad steering rack... am I looking at a pretty tough job replacing it?
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

It is just the lines. I would add some lucas powersteering stop leak. I heard the stuff works everytime for a long time. Worked on my car as well except I didn't use the lucas powersteering, I used the transmission fix one.
Last edited by ericem on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

for starters id power wash it... and see where its leaking from. maybe its an easy fix an id also ad the lucas to if it helps.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

mv420xx wrote:for starters id power wash it... and see where its leaking from. maybe its an easy fix an id also ad the lucas to if it helps.
I need a viable option for powerwashing... can't tow the car anywhere, and don't have the equipment to do it at home... ideas? I wonder how much it would cost to rent something like that....
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My steering rack looked just like that. But I power washed the whole engine bay out. There's no engine in it so I think it would be easy to replace.

Can't you put a WRX rack in? Is it easy? If it's covered in steering fluid like that, doesn't that mean it's leaking? I don't like the stop leak idea. I don't like bandaids, I like sure things. Since the engine is out, I would like to replace it now instead of wait and find out it IS leaking and then have to replace it later anyways.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

kimokalihi wrote:Can't you put a WRX rack in? Is it easy? If it's covered in steering fluid like that, doesn't that mean it's leaking? I don't like the stop leak idea. I don't like bandaids, I like sure things. Since the engine is out, I would like to replace it now instead of wait and find out it IS leaking and then have to replace it later anyways.
From what I've read, replacing the steering rack is pretty cake engine in or out. Not sure what options we have as far as replacements go, though.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

How do you know it's power steering fluid?

In truth, it looks more to me like CV axle grease, perhaps from a torn boot on an old axle.

If it does turn out to be a steering leak however, you can replace those O-rings.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Last time I was under the car, the boots looked pretty damn good. I'll take another look again today. Thanks for bringing that up.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

They do now, but perhaps at one point (before you bought the car) the boot was torn and throwing grease everywhere.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

DerFahrer wrote:They do now, but perhaps at one point (before you bought the car) the boot was torn and throwing grease everywhere.
True. The ones that are on there are as pristine as it gets... so I'm going to assume if what you said was the case at some point, it was resolved by the previous owner.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

there are two brakets that hold the sterring rack on. then there are 2 lines that on the rack and 2 two that connect where your picture is i believe. i took mine apart and and cleaned it all up and then greased it back up. also i bought new outer tie rods
under the boots
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
njdriver04
First Gear

Re: Bad steering rack?

Post by njdriver04 »

are the tie rods for a wrx sedan the same size as my wagon?
'04 forester XT
Scoob Alumni
'94 TW, '96 L, '00 GT