"repinning" connectors?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Fkyx
Third Gear

"repinning" connectors?

Post by Fkyx »

Alright. So one of the previous owners of my car had installed a fuel cut defender, but it was reading from the MAF. This is incorrect, as I understand it.

Unfortunately, they spliced the FCD in very close to the MAF connector, and used butt connectors to do so. It looks really sloppy. After clipping the wires running to the FCD, I'm left wanting to clean things up.

My idea is to "re-pin" the MAF connector. Essentially, I want to cut the MAF wires back past the butt connectors and then reinsert them into the pins. Is it possible to open up the pins and reuse them? Or will I have to pick up new ones? In the latter case, is there a part number or specific name/place to look for them?
Last edited by Fkyx on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

An auto sparky should have them or get them for you. Best to take a sample probably. If you are keen you could have a look at someone like RS online who also have them but the selection is bewildering so it's probably best to stick with the sparky.
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Hmmmm. Okay.

Also considering "breaking" the pins off of the existing wire and soldering them on to the new wire...

Really lacking a mode of transportation to go searching around town... so I'm trying to make due with what I have around the house.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

A FCD clamps the signal voltage from the MAF, as I understand it.
But it is possible to solder wire to connector pins. Just be sure not to leave too much solder built up or it won't fit back in the connector.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

OEMs do not use solder because it can crack and degrade over time.

If I was to do what you need to do, I would cut a spare MAF connector from a waste harness. Unwrap your cars harness all the way back to a few inches into the main leg after the MAF 'arm' rejoins it. That's where I would splice it. I would use heat shrink butt connectors (example). I would then re-wrap both the main harness and the MAF arm using new tape and add plastic corrugated conduit if your car doesn't have it in that spot.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

beatersubi wrote:A FCD clamps the signal voltage from the MAF, as I understand it.
But it is possible to solder wire to connector pins. Just be sure not to leave too much solder built up or it won't fit back in the connector.
MRT's installation instructions say to pull the signal from the MAP, not the MAF.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest doing what PhyrraM recommended. I soldered a connection to the knock sensor to fix that since I couldn't get the connector pin undone.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... efault.htm

As for the FCD, you interupt the MAP sensor signal, not MAF.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm