Well this is really weird.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beater_legacy
First Gear

Well this is really weird.

Post by beater_legacy »

I'm in the middle of replacing my headgaskets on my '90 legacy L. I was removing the heads today when I came across something really strange. One of the combustion chambers looks like it has never ever seen a flame!! The top of the chamber on the head is clean and shiny and so is the piston!! This car is almost 20 years old, how is this possible? I didn't really pay much attention to the plugs when I pulled them but after a second inspection, they all look the same, so I don't think spark is an issue. It must be fuel. Now, I've know the history of this car. It was my ex-girlfriends Uncle's car, he bought it new. Then his Mother drove it, and then my ex bought it. I ended up buying it from her and then sold it to a friend. I recently got it back from the friend because he was going to scrap it after blowing the headgasket. To the best of my knowledge, the heads have never even been off this car, much less the bottom end.

I would love to hear what you all think about this.

Image[/img]
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

That is what would happen in a perfect world. Gasoline and air burned to make just water and carbon dioxide. ""C8H18 + 12.5 O2 ---> 9 H2O + 8 CO2 "" Just in case you wanted to know. Any who, now that we know this world ain't perfect. Being that you are the sixth owner, counted you twice :-D ,and who knows what the others did. When the head gasket went a flop, or blown. The coolant was steam cleaning that cylinder. Thus it is miraculously clean. That is all I can think of. :-D
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah....the cylinder got steam cleaned when the gasket went.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Yep. I'll give another confirmation that that was the cylinder with the blown head gasket. I've seen that a few times, but never that clean. In my experience the piston has been cleaner than the head.
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

Well, that all certainly makes sense. More sense than my first thought that the cylinder had never ever fired! hahah I've never done headgaskets on a car that had blown one before, only precautionary replacements.

Thanks everyone!