My sleeper LSS named "Trixie" (56k Beware!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

My sleeper LSS named "Trixie" (56k Beware!)

Post by dropdfocus »

The story starts off around September of 2007 when I purchased a 1992 Legacy Sport Sedan from a friend who was in the process of shipping off to Korea to be an MP for the Army. He had been working towards the use of a T3/T4 turbo and a very small FMIC. This did not seem like the best combo and I decided to scrap most of his progress and start over in the direction I felt was best for me.

Stared out with this for $1,000 ( 9/2007 ):

Seemed like a great deal until the more I worked on it, the more body started to show it's true colors (rust color). I came to find out that a LOT of deep rust was covered up and filled in by many pounds of Bondo. I took a closer look under the car and the rot was far beyond what I expected.

So I put the project off while I could figure out if swapping the parts to another car would be best or just try and fix what I had sitting next to my garage. As it would happen, waiting paid off big time in the form of another Legacy SS in PA but this one would require being trailered home because the transmission only had reverse and even that was on it's last legs. He let the car go for very cheap because he needed money for college classes & books, along with the fact he had aquired over 10 Subarus and his father wanted most of them gone ASAP!!!

Here is the most current vehicle for $950 ( 8/2008 )

Well, many months have passed me by and much has changed on "Trixie". I've had a lot of help from local friends (Joe, Alan, Spencer (Strat), Dan (VermillionX) and Matt (legacy92ej22t) who come over to lend a hand on her. It's looking like this weekend I'll be starting her up for the first time since August 2008!

Current mods list consists of:

Performance & Cosmetic:
Subaru Impreza WRX '06-'07 top mount intercooler (for winter months)
Subaru Impreza WRX '04 TD04 turbo
TurboXS by-pass valve
A'PEXi N1 catless exhaust
Invidia catless up-pipe
Invidia catless bellmouth down-pipe
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
PLX Devices wide band O2 controller
TurboXS DTEC piggy-back engine management & fuel controller
TurboXS fuel cut defender
TurboXS manual boost controller
Progress 1.75" lowering springs
Cusco rear strut tower bar
Cusco lower body "H" brace
SimplySuby front inner fender braces
Subaru 2.5RS 16" six spoke wheels w/ 225/50/16 tires
Subaru WRX calipers front & rear
PowerSlot performance slotted front rotors
Subaru Legacy H6 rear brake conversion
Rally Armor "Classic" mud flaps

Stereo/Interior:
Eclipse 5508 CD player with copper chassis & 8v. balanced line output
Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5 series componet speakers
Boston Acoustics Pro 10.5 series subwoofer
Rockford Fosgate Power 500m amplifier
Rockford Fosgate Punch 200 amplifier
Optima Yellow Top battery
Tsunami sound deadening mat
Subaru All Weather rubber floor mats
'02 Subaru Impreza WRX MOMO Edition steering wheel
'04 Subaru Impreza WRX carpet
'06 Subaru Impreza WRX TR Edition front & rear seats

To be installed soon:
Skunk2 coilovers
KYB AGX adjustable suspension
Whiteline front & rear swaybars
Kartboy swaybar end links
Deadbolt TD005H-Super 16g turbo
Slowboy Racing front mount intercooler kit (with S/S piping)
Fully Blueprinted & Balanced motor
EJ20G JDM WRX heads & intake manifold
STi 550cc injectors to be modified to a larger flow rate
'00 Subaru Impreza RS dash & gauge cluster
4-point race harnesses
B-pillar harness bar

Once I get all the motor work done on the spare EJ22T motor, that will be reassembled and dropped into the car to replace the stock block. Then the SBR FMIC kit gets installed and the rebuild Super 16g turbo goes on. After all the parts are placed into the engine bay, then the car goes off for dyno tuning and I'll be shooting for 325-350chp. I have Mike at Slowboy Racing offering to help out with any motor work I am unable to do in my garage. So that is a big positive right there!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(3/25/09)
Ok, we got it started only after replumbing the PCV system to the custom intake. D'oh!!!

Well it ran, and it WAS loud...until...I smoked the TD04 turbo. :shock: :cry: Apparently it didn't prime well enough and it ran dry for to long before it got the proper oil. The oil seals blew out and it started puking oil through the TMIC & down into the throttle body causing it to shut off.

I quickly sourced another TD04 (couldn't use my TD05-16g because it has too much shaft play & needs rebuilt) and Spencer (Strat) & I reinstalled the donor turbo. It is installed but we ran out of time this evening to have it completely put back together. I will be back at it again after I come home from work (yup, I have a job again!!!).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1,386 trips to the store for stupid misc. parts: $46.93
Money spent on beer & garage snack food: $63.14
Hours spend looking on forums for upgrade parts: 2,573
Having your car ruin a turbo and kill your hopes & dreams in one day: PRICELESS!
"There's some things money can't buy, for everything else there's MasterCard"

Disclaimer:
The above numbers and quantites are complete BS and I pulled them out of my *butt* so it just further proves that you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(3/26/09)
Well after swapping in the 2nd turbo it spit oil through the intake again even after taking the time to correctly prime it. :-(

So I am left to believe I did not ruin the first turbo (which I took the time to port and gasket match). It seems like I am sucking oil up out of the crank case breather & into the intake through one of the breather lines. I am running a custom designed intake setup using silicone reducer elbows and a custom made T for the recirc hose to dump into. The factory intake has like 4-5 breather/vacuum ports & we ran them all together into one line which seems like the culprit at this point. I'm slowing starting to get beat down by this project being so damn close and yet VERY far away from being road ready. :unamused: I'm far from amused at this point in the game.

It rained today so I pushed it outside to purposely get wet and then took out a bucket with hot water in it and gave her a warm water bath. Used a shammy to dry her off and put her to bed in the garage for the night.

(3/28/09)
NEW UPDATE:

OK, the good news first!
The problem was that the car was creating enough vacuum to suck oil from the crank case breather since factory it T's off from the line going to the PCV. I eliminated the extra line and just ran the crank case breather directly to the PCV. The IAC valve is the only item running to the intake tube. The valve cover breathers have a simple APC breather filter attached to the tube which is bolted to the TMIC.

We used one large bottle of rubbing alcohol to rinse out the oil out of the TMIC. Once that was done it was reassembled and we prepared to start it up once more. It did take a bit to clear any of the oil & crap out of the motor which had be puked into it earlier.
It officially runs under it's own power finally!!!!!!!!!! :!:

Now for the bad news:
I got the car with a bad tranny and I pulled a spare 4EAT from the previous project car. It's sadly looking like that transmission is bad as well. :-( So it's time to start saving my pennies up for a 5MT from another Legacy SS. I want to run that vs. the WRX tranny because of the different gear set ratios. This will only be temp until I get the straight cut gears (1-4, stock 5th) transmission sometime down the road. This will have no problem handling 350 crank horsepower (my end result power goal).

I will be posting pictures very soon and a video clip of the car running on just the 3" downpipe as well. :twisted:
Last edited by dropdfocus on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

(3/28/09)
Picture time!!!!!

*Inside the custom intercooled engine bay*

*Close up of my custom intake setup* (I wanted black but all SiliconeIntakes.com had in stock was blue)

*Trixie at night lit up by the warm glow of my garage*

*In your face brightness!*

*Modified WRX coolant tank to fit into my engine bay in place of the factory charcoal canister*

*Had to lengthen the factory O2 wires since I used a spacer between the exhaust manifold & the uppipe*

(3/29/09)
I still need to get the exhaust installed but here is a video from the inside of the car (doors open) of the car running with a catless uppipe & catless downpipe:

*Day shot of the engine bay*

*Close-up of the custom made intake*

*Rear shot of the intake*

*Custom mounted WRX coolant tank*

*Digital voltage read-out battery terminal with 0/1AWG power wire for my future stereo system*

*Didn't get the chance to swap out the WRX wheels off this side yet*

*Nice rear-end huh??*

*3/4 shot of the car*

*Shot of the 2.5RS wheels* "Love 'em!!!"

*Still flying blind without her headlights*

*Partial dash & center console* (Decided I like the idea of a removable steering wheel now!)

*VERY comfortable 2006 WRX TR Edition seats. Plus the fit the color scheme...BONUS!*

*The rear seats which will rarely have anyone sitting in them*

*2 new videos of the car w/o exhaust:*

Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Nice......

Can't wait till she's on the road and I get a ride!

Sucks about the tranny...... yeah, that really sucks. :evil:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

See Matt, I did include you in the list of people I gave "props" to. :mrgreen:

Frank (Blackbart) is helping me out BIG time with selling me everything I need to 5MT swap the car for a VERY reasonable price!!!
Jason
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How many subarus you got! I think I spotted 9 of them in those pictures. Are those all yours? I think you should float one my way, lol.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

So I put the project off while I could figure out if swapping the parts to another car would be best or just try and fix what I had sitting next to my garage. As it would happen, waiting paid off big time in the form of another Legacy SS in PA but this one would require being trailered home because the transmission only had reverse and even that was on it's last legs. He let the car go for very cheap because he needed money for college classes & books, along with the fact he had aquired over 10 Subarus and his father wanted most of them gone ASAP!!!
I got the car from a fellow LegCen member up in Edinboro, PA with the screen name: "soobcollektor" (and he wasn't kidding either!).
Jason
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Great to finally see some pics Jason! The car is soo clean, very well put together. Wish it was on the left coast though!
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yeah, I think our cars would make each other jealous and they'd fight too much if they were together. :mrgreen: So I guess it's best they are on seperate coasts.

Thanks very much for the complements Devan. 8)
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I really dig your intake setup!

Also nice to see a Leg with no cancer.
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Nice interior choices! How was the fitment of the front seats?
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

The seats were dead on fit. Not too high either like you run into with the other WRX seats.
Jason
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

That's good to know!
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
klin7757
First Gear

Post by klin7757 »

that intake is too cool! i'ts settled i'm doing the same. what did you use for the intermediate piping? custom fabed?
94TW red.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

2.5" exhaust pipe with a small scrap piece from the local Monroe exhaust shop. Had one of the guys notch the piece to be added so it didn't stick down throw the main pipe. He then welded it and added JB Weld around the base of it to hide the welds. I then took my time sanding it down smooth and painted it black.

The airbox can be found on the BD Legacy & the GC Impreza.
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I will be getting my tranny very soon (just have to work out a time/date with Frank <aka: Blackbart>) so that will be a long awaited change over.

Also, I'm on the very edge of another mod for my car, but it won't increase my horsepower, just my "wow" factor. I can't say any more than that at this moment... :twisted:
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Ok, I scrapped the above idea... No "WOW" factor mod for me.

At this point, I'm just awaiting word from Frank (Blackbart) that he's back in the area and I can go pick up my 5MT conversion parts. Then it's off to get the 2-3/4" exhaust installed and I'll be off to terrorize the neighborhood!!!! :twisted:

I recently picked up a Nikon D40 digital SLR camera, so I should have some better/cleaner looking shots of the car soon enough.
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Why not 3" exhaust?

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Because I got a real nice Apex-i N1 exhaust from a buddy for dirt cheap. I may change out to a full 3" later down the road (next year some time). Right now I mainly want to get it on the road and beat on it to see what breaks & needs to be stronger to take the abuse. 8)
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Sounds like a plan. I am going to try and get our makeshift 3" mounted up this week....

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Awesome! I do wish I was much closer to lend a hand to your project Ryan. I really enjoy the customizing side of the automotive industry. Its been very cool to see the progress so far!
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

The only bad part with the custom stuff is that it takes more time. I just want to drive ours already. I got to drive it for about 10feet and that was it. I have no idea how the car handled or anything before we tore into it because it was so "rough"... The engine freaking purred though! To bad it had a seized turbo and a po-dunk exhaust system among other things....

Back on topic,

Your car looks very nice, and I am sure it will sound it as well. You are going to love the 5-speed when you get it in!

What was this "WOW" factor mod that you were going to do? Now that you are not gonna, you must spill the beans!

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

It was going to get a JDM right hand drive swap, but the more I looked into it, it just wasn't worth the hassle just to have a "rare" looking vehicle. Oh well. I'll be better off putting any extra cash into the suspension bits instead.
Jason
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Good choice! I would never convert any car to RHD. I would by a RHD car though, just not for a daily driver.

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

OK, Blackbart (Frank) is back in the area and now it's time to match available schedules and head out to pick up the 5MT swap parts!!! I am going to try my damnedest to get the car on the road & legal by the last week of this month. Then I can take it up to Wellsboro and show it off at the '09 STPR!!!! Maybe even get a few SRTUSA driver signatures on the dash to make the car that much more special to me...Yeay!!!!!!!!

I'm so damn excited right now (can ya tell???)!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jason
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Some updated pics (w/ my Nikon D40) after I gave Trixie her first bath:

Interior shots with the new camera:

...and got my '02-'04 WRX steering wheel to fit with the ABS & cruise control wires coming through the wheel in a non-factory location
Jason