Hesitation problem

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Damon
Second Gear

Hesitation problem

Post by Damon »

I've had this car for about a year but I've had it parked for the whole time because it wont run right. It holds steady at 9psi but the car has a horrible miss. I've done plugs, wires, filter, ecu reset, changed the maf, relocated the knock sensor. I'm at the end of my ropes here. The car has 107000 on the clock so I dont think it's a dead cylinder. The only thing I can figure is the exhaust leak is causing problems. Anyone experience this? It's a 91ss automatic.
biglittledog
In Neutral

Post by biglittledog »

Hi. We both have threads on hesitation and nobody is answering either of them so I thought I'd throw in my 2 bits even though I don't have a turbo.
If you can make the miss happen, especially if you can do it by revving the engine while the car isn't moving I would hook up a vacuum gauge off the manifold with a tee connector. You can learn a huge amount by watching the needle movement at idle and when the throttle is opened. I got mine from Harbor Freight Tools for 8 bucks on sale but you could grab one from Ebay real cheap.
I've gone a little old school lately...back to the timing light and vacuum guage, checking plug condition etc because the ECU can fool you by throwing codes caused by something else or not throwing codes at all.
I just took out my knock sensor and its totally f***ed and the car never threw a code at all but was running like crap. The way I figured it out was by hooking up a timing light and putting a small piece of masking tape on the pulley and watching the timing change while I revved the engine. In my case, it was retarding the timing the full 20 degrees so the engine wouldn't accelerate at all. A vacuum gauge will tell you if it's valves, rings, dead cylinder etc. without replacing stuff for $$$. It might be a good way to start. Good Luck!
For starters:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2393/article.html
94 Legacy Alpine AT NA
00 Forester
91 325i convertible 5spd
Damon
Second Gear

Post by Damon »

I'll have to check the gauge next time but I think it's pulling something like 20 vac in idle. I wanted to do a compression test but I couldn't find my gauge, plus I'm not so confident I could do it correctly.
biglittledog
In Neutral

Post by biglittledog »

That sounds high but I don't know the turbo. My N/A Legacy pulls about 11 at idle. More importantly, is the needle on the vacuum gauge steady? Does it climb and then drop when you rev the engine?
Also, you can try putting a piece of masking tape on the pulley. Start the car and watch with a timing light while you rev the engine. On mine the timing was retarding a huge amount which led me to the knock sensor. I'm not sure but I think it should dip a little (move clockwise) and then quickly advance for the increased engine speed (move counter-clockwise well past the original position at idle).
Good Luck!
94 Legacy Alpine AT NA
00 Forester
91 325i convertible 5spd
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

When you relocated your knock sensor, where did you put it? does it matter where it's placed?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

Are you sure its a miss and not fuel cut?
- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com