Installed the Ebay 97-00 JDM and AU Turbo Back System

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Lurch
In Neutral

Installed the Ebay 97-00 JDM and AU Turbo Back System

Post by Lurch »

Well I went for the 97-00 JDM and AU Turbo Back System that's been on Ebay for $150 plus $75 shipping. I used an ebay 10% off coupon to get it for $205.

The biggest downside of this system is the thin steel. In Colorado it will last for years but anywhere else it will rust quickly. At first glance it looks like a perfect fit. However, the Legacy exhaust is about 5" longer and the downpipe (DP) cuts over to the middle too soon. Unfortunately, the DP had to be modified to fit next to the automatic transmission. I think a 5sp would not have this problem. I drew on the following picture to show the differences and where you will have to hammer for the transmission fit.

Larger Picture Link

These pictures were taken after I took the exhaust off to upgrade the turbo and add a catalytic converter back. I had to cut 1/2" off the top transmission mount tab and re-weld it. The bottom transmission mount tab had to be notched on top.

The O2 sensor is further back on the downpipe so I had to cut than lengthen the O2 leads. The above photos show the different location of the O2 bung. For the O2 wire extension I used small naked wire crimps from NAPA with heat-shrinks then wrapped by the black cable cover.

Note the missing turbo shield. I had to modify it and put it back on because the turbo was melting the wiring near it. Once we got the downpipe fit completed we moved to the cat-back fitting.

The major mod here was the right side muffler hanger. It was heated with a small torch and bent to the correct angle. I also used longer rubber hangers to make the four hanger points fit.

The above photo shows the WRX exhaust is missing. The fat round piece in the downpipe is a fake catalytic converter and I need a real one for Colorado emission testing. Basically, I cut out the fake one and put in a temporary straight pipe extension until I could order the correct catalytic size

After much research and measuring the stock catalytic converter I found a perfect fit at Eastern Catalytic. The 3", no air, 14"; overall length cat is for a Ford Ranger. The part number is 70330. I forgot to take a picture of it off the car but here it is installed.

As you can see I am a bad welder. Here is what the exhaust looks like under the car. I does hang a bit lower than the stock system. So some speed bumps are an issue with the muffler.

The results were better than expected. Like my son said, "It puts a smile on your face." This video was taken before the cat was installed.

YouTube Video

With the cat on it is a bit softer and some of the rasp is gone. Thanks to all the previous posts here about WRX exhaust installs, it made this install go well. I've also put this up on my blog 303Lurch if you want to see the larger pictures. Just click on the pictures to get a larger pic.
James
93 Legacy Turbo SS Burgundy - Son's Car
Mods: KYB GR2, K&N, TD04/WRX TMIC, Hallman Pro MBC @ 11.5 psi, 02 WRX 5sp Tranny, AU CB 97-00 WRX 3" Turbo back Exhaust / Future Mods: MSD DIS2
02 Toyota Tundra v8 4x4 TRD & 97 Suzuki Bandit 1200s- Mine
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Wow sounds fantastic. A bit too much work was required to make it worth the cost to me though. Do you have a link to the auction though? I'd like to take a look at the seller/info.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
Lurch
In Neutral

Post by Lurch »

Thanks! Your right about the work... for a few bucks more you can get a DP that fits the automatic better. It looks like there are two sellers there now. Here's a link to one of them on ebay.
James
93 Legacy Turbo SS Burgundy - Son's Car
Mods: KYB GR2, K&N, TD04/WRX TMIC, Hallman Pro MBC @ 11.5 psi, 02 WRX 5sp Tranny, AU CB 97-00 WRX 3" Turbo back Exhaust / Future Mods: MSD DIS2
02 Toyota Tundra v8 4x4 TRD & 97 Suzuki Bandit 1200s- Mine
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I used a EZR DP from e-bay, & it fit my 4eat SS with no probs.
I fabbed a 3" exhaust to mate with the rest of the system.

That TBE looks like Stainless steel which will not rust.
Easy test to see if it is "3" series stainless steel would be to put a magnet on the tubing - if it falls off it is 3 series S-steel, if it sticks its is mild steel or possibly "4" series stainless.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

I installed this same exhaust on my car :D Its a 5 spd and the down pipe fit pretty well. Mine is temporarily installed as it came with a couple strategicly placed thick pieces bailing wire & and a 'massaged' muffler hanger. The mount on the back section of the DP to the tranny was a tight fit but it did fit. I can't weld so I'll have one of my welders do similar modifications to it sometime soon (working on other fun issues...) for a better fit.
I agree it's a decent exhaust and you can't beat the price. It's fairly loud without the silencer in the muffler. Installing the it does result in a noticably quiter tone. But there's probably some minimal power losses when it's installed. I bet it sounds pretty good with a cat installed and no muffler silencer :-) .
04 Forester XTi VF39, TMIC, 3" exhaust, COBB accessport
92 Legacy L wagon 5 spd, 266K miles
83 wagon SOLD
04 STi COBB stage 2 & wingless SOLD
92 Legacy SS 5MT-TD04,TMIC, 3"exhaust SOLD
00 Legacy GT wagon 5spd SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've rocked this exhaust for three winters in Minnesota, which has more salt on the roads than most states. It is by no means rusting. I have to hit the tip with some steel wool every six months, but thats it. You can't expect too much from Chinese stainless steel.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
createnew
First Gear

Post by createnew »

I've been considering getting this exhaust myself. But does anyone know the major differences between this system and a system for an '02-'07 WRX? If one will work better than the other? I know they both have to be lengthened about the same amount.

There's the same type of system on ebay for about the same price. I posted the links but they'll probably only be available until the auction ends in about a week...

'02-'07 System

'97-'00 System
Yellow '01 Kaw. ZX-7R (SOLD) :(
Gold '88 Starion ESI-R (Drift Project)
Brgndy '92 Legacy SS, Agency Power Style Headers and Up-pipe (ebay, don't stay together), Underdrive Pully, 5MT conv, mod'd WRX cold air intake and short shifter, 12.5 lb fly
createnew
First Gear

Post by createnew »

They really look identical in the pictures except that the downpipe on the '02-'07 system doesn't have a resinator after the flex section...
Yellow '01 Kaw. ZX-7R (SOLD) :(
Gold '88 Starion ESI-R (Drift Project)
Brgndy '92 Legacy SS, Agency Power Style Headers and Up-pipe (ebay, don't stay together), Underdrive Pully, 5MT conv, mod'd WRX cold air intake and short shifter, 12.5 lb fly