Chip for stock ECU!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vica153
First Gear

Post by vica153 »

WTB DYNO PLOTS!

All this "feel more power" is nice, but we all know the butt dyno isn't quite accurate.

A simple Stock vs Stage 1 with HP, Torque, AFR would be great and I'm sure would do wonders for Rev's sales.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Are you saying that you want to buy some dyno plots? I'll sell you some for the cost of the AWD dyno plus my time to CA and back.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Ditto. Pay for my trip to CA for the Revtronix tuning/dyno runs and you'll get Stage 2 plots ;)

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
vica153
First Gear

Post by vica153 »

Well if Revtronix is claiming specific % gains over stock, then either they did dyno a stock car and dont want to post the plots OR they never dyno'd a stock car and are just guessing what the gains are.

I love what Revtronix is doing, but a little bit of data would go a long way.

No one that has bought the chip has done a simple before and after dyno run to see if the chip does what its supposed to?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

vica153 wrote:Well if Revtronix is claiming specific % gains over stock, then either they did dyno a stock car and dont want to post the plots OR they never dyno'd a stock car and are just guessing what the gains are.

I love what Revtronix is doing, but a little bit of data would go a long way.

No one that has bought the chip has done a simple before and after dyno run to see if the chip does what its supposed to?
+1
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Why would it need tuning if this is a staged chip? You shouldn't need any tuning so any dyno will due. I'd be willing to put down $5 on it.
-Doug Wilson
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Personally, I'd rather see back-to-back dragstrip runs with and without the chip. Timeslips > dyno sheets any day of the week as far as showing an actual power gain, IMO.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Hey you back to your thread! lol
I want to see some time sheets and dyno sheets from you soon. I've been in Iraq as long as you've been building your car and you've only got 3 months left of me over here to finish your car. After that I'm coming home and beating you with any means necessary.
-Doug Wilson
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

i got the chip in! and all the other stuff..

first startup was shit it barely ran and eventually stalled and was running so rich that there was raw fuel coming out the tailpipe.

second startup was much better but still didnt want to idle smoothly at all so i bumped up the idle screw a bit

left it running until warmed up and then shut it off.
third startup sounded clean and smooth until the cold idle rpms dorpped down after a few seconds then again the rough idle but still much better that the other 2 times.

i took it for a quick spin being very nice to it not hitting boost and it seemed to run perfect... no, better than perfect! more throttle response smoother power curve (keep in mind i havent hit boost yet) i'm happy!

cant wait until its properly broken in and likes idling a bit more, then i'll put super duper gas in and feel the grunt of 16.5 psi!

the install was simple, the injectors and maf were a 5 minute job and the chip would have been too if i didnt have 40 000 wires from the p.o.'s old stereo and car starter right in the way. that sucked but its all good now.

i love my legacy. and revtronix...

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

FYI in case somebody missed it - the original install instructions showed the jumpers going on the wrong way. Revtronix has fixed the online manual as of last week, but it might have affected some of the early installers.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

vica153 wrote:No one that has bought the chip has done a simple before and after dyno run to see if the chip does what its supposed to?
I have a dyno run of my stock wagon (no mods at all). Was holding out on getting another with the stage 2 once I'm confident it's running things ok (and thus I'll turn up the boost from 11.5 to ~16).

As for Revtronix publishing their own dyno plots, I asked Mike about this a while ago:
Mike wrote: Unfortunately due to a run of bad luck all our dyno runs have been semi-completed. Here's the run-down:
Stage 1 VF11 - Last year, we donated a chip to an employee of Rocket Rally who promised to dyno for us. Haven't heard back yet.
Stage 2 VF11 - Engine seized due to low oil level. Got one semi-ok run. Intercooler was heat-soaked due to poor airflow and I can't really back up any claims with 205 tq/150 whp on a spun rod bearing. Our plan was to later un-mod this one and do the Stage 1 and stock chip dyno on the same day. Bleh.
Stage 2 TD04 - Car had some boost issues due to loose intercooler-TB hose. Got some decent peak numbers for 1.4-15 psi but inconsistent due to the boost leak. Ran much better once we solved the problem (after the dyno shop closed of course) and the owner had to leave for home (Idaho) the same evening.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

The point is not necessarily big additional numbers, the point is being able to run a TD-04 (or VF11) safely with smoother response and efficient operation at higher boost levels.

By programming the ECU to recognize the JECS MAF and JDM 440 injectors, we are all getting some insurance on running 14psi+ rather than maxing and stressing the stock components.

The reason these cars still run after 200k is because everything was overbuilt. When we start pushing the envelope, especially with the high-mileage motors, expect to start breaking things.

I do not necessarily expect a TON of extra power by adding the chip - however I do expect a wider powerband, better top-end performance, and similar fuel economy or better. All while running extra-capacity injectors and MAF as a nice safety margin.

For those who really want a bunch more power than stock or even stock+TD-04, the real treat will be the "Power" setting with 16psi and maps adjusted for 93 octane.

I just reset my ECU to get rid of the faulty learning caused by running the original jumper configuration, so it will be a week or so before I can really comment on the "felt" power increases.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

so after driving around most of the day to "break it in" i like how the car feels. more linear power delivery, no where near as much part throttle boost which is nice cuz that caused the car to be a bit jerky feeling

i got daring on my way home and did a couple almost full throttle launches and i didnt seem to hit more than 13 psi but it felt nice and quick, the top end is waaaaaaay better and at first i thought that had sacrificed the mid range performance but it was really the fact that i was used to getting full boost on half throttle. then i realised i just have to punch it a bit more.

still isnt idling great but its only been 6 or 8 hours of driving, it'll probably take a while to adapt.

-Alex

p.s. i have no before dyno plot but i plan on dynoing my car and takeing it on the strip for my b-day which is june 22.
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

vica153
First Gear

Post by vica153 »

I'm assuming making a stage 1 chip and stage 2 chips for different setups all stable and safe is going to take a good bit of tuning time. Right? Escpecially with an interface that "isn't user friendly".

Tuning time with a solid working car with each of the different setups.

How is it that there isn't a single good dyno plot to show for all that time and effort?

I love that someone is working on tuning for us and I don't really doubt the performance of the chips (I will hopefully be ordering one sometime soon), but again it would be nice to see some data.

Mike wrote: Unfortunately due to a run of bad luck all our dyno runs have been semi-completed. Here's the run-down:
Stage 1 VF11 - Last year, we donated a chip to an employee of Rocket Rally who promised to dyno for us. Haven't heard back yet.
Stage 2 VF11 - Engine seized due to low oil level. Got one semi-ok run. Intercooler was heat-soaked due to poor airflow and I can't really back up any claims with 205 tq/150 whp on a spun rod bearing. Our plan was to later un-mod this one and do the Stage 1 and stock chip dyno on the same day. Bleh.
Stage 2 TD04 - Car had some boost issues due to loose intercooler-TB hose. Got some decent peak numbers for 1.4-15 psi but inconsistent due to the boost leak. Ran much better once we solved the problem (after the dyno shop closed of course) and the owner had to leave for home (Idaho) the same evening.
joshw02
First Gear

Post by joshw02 »

I've had my stage 2 in for about 150 mi. so far and am very pleased with the power. However I'm getting boost spikes from time to time. Any body else experiencing this? I've seen some spike up to 18-19psi. and that is with the chip on the 91 octane setting..
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

No spikes here, but I'm using a MBC instead of the BCS. Thinking about going back to the BCS though and seeing how it compares...

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

joshw02 wrote:I've had my stage 2 in for about 150 mi. so far and am very pleased with the power. However I'm getting boost spikes from time to time. Any body else experiencing this? I've seen some spike up to 18-19psi. and that is with the chip on the 91 octane setting..
What are you doing when the boost spike occurs? WOT? Part throttle? What gear (if 5speed)?

I had spikes when I'd use part throttle to accelerate. The last chip I rec'd cured this (I was helping Revtronix do some testing).

Also, I got 24 MPG avg. to Seattle and back this weekend, @ 75mph w/the AC on about 1/2 the time. :)
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

OK, I switched to a MBC and got rid of the boost on/off pulsing. I may find a 10psi actuator and try the BCS again at some point, but I needed to make the car driveable.

I set the MBC to 14psi and am waiting for the ECU to relearn a little.

EGT's are a bit high right now in boost, and there is still some stutter at throttle let-off.

Will update with more as it happens.

Oh, fuel mileage for the last tank (with a lot of boost testing) was 21mpg, just like the pre-Revtronix average with the VF-8 at 12psi and 380cc injectors.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Tired of copy/pasting posts between this forum and revtronix. cliff notes:

It's been ~900mi since my stage 2 install.
  • Always been using the MBC around 15 PSI. it's rock stable and I don't notice any visible fluttering, yet the MAP sensor during data logging does up to 2 PSI.
  • Idles issues are no more -- never had to adjust the screw.
  • Twice now on almost pure highway drives, I've gotten 25 mpg -- otherwise mixed city/highway is ~20-21 mpg. That's a 2-3mpg highway increase for me.
  • My cold/lean startup issues are due to a weak O2 sensor. Need a new one.
  • I too notice some stutter/jerking after 50-100% throttle let-off.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

so i discoverd my rough idle issues were due to a bad maf when it started stalling the car every block or 2.
got a new one though and now the idle is cleaner than its ever been i'd say
seems to run lean when i start to go on boost but i've only had everything working properly for a day and so i havent been hitting boost.

and since i changed the injectors now my long startup crank time is no more cuz one of my old ones was leaking. woohoo.

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Glad the MAF worked out. :wink:

Did you reset the ECU (again)? Might be a good idea so it can re-learn w/the good parts.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Does anyone know anything about the "Custom" tune chip?? Anyone know of when its coming out?

Because man! I have a VF39, 550cc, AWIC, JECS, the everthing for a nice custom tune. I have a had these parts in a box for like...2 years.

Man i have been itchin for any more info about the custom tuning! If you cant tell i really REALLY want to start tuning!

If anyone knows anything where, when, how, the tune is coming please tell the world man! Stop holding back.
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Tommio RS: You should email/call Revtronix about it. They've stated that they'll do custom tuning. It's just the 'user tunable' chip that is slated to be released late summer.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Ahhh. Thanks very very much BSOD2600. I just might have to go on a road trip!
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Wow it's been a while since I talked to anyone who even knew what a 2600 was.
-Doug Wilson