Project RallyX: 1991 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

massdrewski wrote:One thought on the weight reduction. Get rid of the stock gas tank and just put in a 5 gallon in the truck.

Fuel weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so if you have a full tank you are looking at more than 100 pounds. also the weight of the gas tank added. just something to consider. also you would have easier access to the tank and would be a bit more safer if you are racing etc. would be a bit costly but as for weight reduction it is worth it (isn't all weight reduction?)
We were talking about this when we first got the car. Tossing the idea around but came to the conclusion that we do not want to spend that kind of money on it at this time. We have so many other things to get straighted out first before we get that drastic with weight reduction. Id rather dump the money into a chip for the ECU and a better transmission. We will only be racing with a few gallons in it to keep the weight down.
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
Pita84
In Neutral

Post by Pita84 »

Sunroof stitched in, needs to be ground and sealed. Filler panel did not like heat and made for horrible time welding.

Dong in instrument cluster gone.

Power windows now functioning.(after gutting did not plug all wiring back in, found out what we really needed)

Tomorrow is D Day before the trip and im sure more work at the campground.

Wish us luck.
Pita84
In Neutral

Made it to Race 1

Post by Pita84 »

Skipped a few things like sunroof delete. but made it to the first race for a shakedown. The vehicle had a transmission noise before we went and we knew the connector for the y pipe was a little short and both bit us during the day. The transmission sounds 1000 times worse, but we were planning on pulling it after the race anyway. We did not finish and just threw it back on the trailer, but we had a good few shakedown runs to figure out what it is all about.

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Well we had a mad dash last week to get this thing done in order to make it to the race! We ended up getting everything done that needed to be! Unfortunately we were so caught up in the work that no pictures were taken. :cry: We skipped a few things like sunroof delete, cutting up of the hood. but made it to the first race for a shakedown. The vehicle had a transmission noise before we went and we knew the connector for the y pipe was a little short and both bit us during the day. The transmission sounds 1000 times worse, but we were planning on pulling it after the race anyway. We did not finish the race and just threw it back on the trailer, but we had a good few shakedown runs to figure out what the car wants to do.

Here is a shot of the car fresh off the trailer. You can see the black roof with sunroof delete hiding under the paint, and a custom splitter poking out of a hole in the hood. We did not have a scoop yet, so we figured bolting up a splitter was the next best thing. Its not as cosmetically appealing, but atleast its functional! The car is far from its finished look. We plan on painting it somehow, and putting on some sponsor decals by the next race.

Random pictures from the race...

The first break down..

The pipe we used was about a inch to short to be "safe"... The clamping area was just retarded, but we ran with it anyways. :roll: The new pipe will be longer and have a bead on the end so it cant back off.
P.S. There was a hose clamp, but it was already taken off by the time the picture was taken.

Here is Nick working on a HOT engine trying to get the Y pipe back together so he can go out and do the same thing on the next run! :lol:

More pictures to come, maybe even a video if my computer feels up to it!

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

A few more pictures for you guys!

Sunroof delete!

Makeshift Hood Scoop

WRX Primitive skid plate!

Mad Tight Ground Clearance!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Got some third party race pictures for you guys!

massdrewski
First Gear

Post by massdrewski »

Looks like you had an F&ing blast
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

nice action shot!!

p.s... why cant i edit my own post??
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Unfortunately, This part of the forum does not allow it.

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

So it has been a while since we have updated everyone on anything, and for good reason! We simply have not had the time to do anything. We have had the transmission out since the last race and we just got to tear it down the other day. We found out that the source of our noise it a broken first gear on the input shaft. We are still waiting to pick up our two donor transmissions to see if we can make 3 into 1. Hopefully it will all work out!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

This thing has been put on the back burner for to long now! I really want to get this thing back up and running within the next few weeks if at all possible. We pulled the 5-speed out and tore it down to see what was making all of the noise and it turned out to be first gear on the input shaft. The gear still works, but it looks like hell. We just picked up our two donor transmissions the other day so I hope we can take 3 broken transmissions and make 1 functional transmission! The 2 we got are a 2006 WRX 5-speed and a Legacy GT (year??) 5-speed. The WRX trans has a blown 3rd and 4th gear. The Legacy transmission has unknown issues. It looks like the diff might have blown up, not positive.

sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

any updates?
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Its been put on the back burner.... We are trying to figure out our transmission issues. I am trying to find parts on the cheap to piece it all together correctly.

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We have a transmission!!!!! A local Subaru member donated a 02 WRX transmission that had a blown 3rd gear. We simply took our diff and shafts and dropped it into the case. Perfect fit, we now have reverse!! It will be put together this week sometime... Hoping to have it back in the car by the end of the week if all goes well!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

The car is ALIVE!!!

Its been a while, thats for sure but we got the ol' Leggy up and running again under its own power!

The problem we had was the transmission was making noise.. Tore it down and found a bad first gear (still worked great, just sounded horrid)... We ended up taking two spare transmissions and making one usable gear set that worked with our 3.90 configuration. We dropped everything back into the original Legacy case and had no reverse! We figured out that somewhere along the lines Subaru decided to change up the transmission castings a bit. There is a revers idler gear in the transmission that sits on its own little shaft. Subaru decided to move the shaft/gear down in the case ever so slightly to where we had no reverse. The reverse gears we had even though were all a matching set would NOT work in the old case due to the height difference. The gears would not mesh, they would just hit each other. So we ended up getting another blown transmission, this time out of a 02 WRX! SWEET! Took our shafts/gears, and diff out of the old case and dropped them into the new case! Everything is now functional!

And a little shout out to the person who donated the the transmission...

Since then we have been trying to make it more functional. Test fitting a bugeye hood scoop and putting the head lights back in.

I scored some more parts for this thing today. I got new used headlights (our right one is trashed), a new center grill, new instrument cluster, speedo cable, and a brake caliper!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We just picked up a few parts to throw on this thing to try and get it ready for the up and coming ice races! We also just scored a new SPONSOR!!! I would like to welcome aboard Waukegan Tire from Waukegan, Illinois to the team! They are hooking us up with a brand new set of Nokian Hakkapalita's!

I was tossing around the idea of pulling the dash to "clean up" some useless parts (weight reduction!!)... So I pulled the dash and now I have the fun task of tearing crap out!

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Well this last idea that I had turns out to be as big of a job and headache as I was hoping it would not be! Whats a project though with no issues?? We have had this car COMPLETELY apart now!

I wanted to do this though for a few reasons...

-We have completely gutted this thing for race use only and we wanted to completely eliminate everything that we don't need/want. Just think of all the control modules, relays, wiring, brackets, and sound deadening that are in cars that are just dead weight! Now I will admit, these are all small things and do not really add up to a sack of beans but we like to think that it adds to the other amounts for our big grand total. I might take something out that weighs a half of a pound, but that puts me a half of a pound closer to my 500 pound goal. We are slowly getting closer and closer to that goal!

-Simplicity. I want to know where everything in this car is, what wires are for what and eliminate crap that is not needed.

-Repair previous owners wiring!!!! I absolutely HATE BUTT CONNECTORS!

Taking the seats out makes it soooooooooo much easier to work on!!

Slowly eliminating wiring.... What a mess of spaghetti!

First box of wiring and other crap that we don't need! 18.050lbs

I know its really hard to see in these pictures, but the stock engine harness was so freaking long! It came out of the firewall and then they had it bundled up above the transmission... This drove me freaking crazy! Not only did it get in the way of the intercooler and pitch stop mount, it was UGLY! I kick myself for not taking a good picture of it...

Now its all nice and neat!

One more pile of crap that equals weight savings! 7.395lbs

At the end of the day we still have a lot more to get done! We have started to tape up our wiring and re-route some of it. We also redid the wiring for the windows and moved the relay under the dash (before it was all located under the drivers seat). We ran into a few snags along the way though. We have flooded the car out a few times now from all of the starting and stopping we have done along the way. If we were not sure what something was we were literally unplugging it then starting the car for a second and then turning it back off and moved on. I really hope that is all cleared up now, we will find out tomorrow. The dash will be going back in this week and I think we will wrap it up for the race this weekend... We also have a coolant leak to fix that might require to pull the manifold off.

Anyways, lets add some things up now.. We have shed off around 25.5lbs during this last stunt. That brings the grand total to........

375lbs!

kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

hey guys... our ice racing season starts this month sometime. Lots of fun. Are you running studs? Here we have to run full safety equipment to run studs (cage, harness, fuel cell etc). But we have a non-studded class thats open to anyone w/ a helmet, good times.

FWIW, a stiffer rear swaybar, ALK, and stiffer springs has made my car handle awesome. Understeer is almost completely gone.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We are going to start out in the snow tire class for now. Our new sponsor is hooking us up with 4 brand new Nokian Hakkapalitta's so we are going to give them a try before we spend $100 on screws to stud them. As far as I know we can run studs with only a helmet.

We will look into suspension stuff more this summer. Right now we have not had enough seat time in this thing to know what it wants to do.

kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

forgot what mods you had done so-far, but on the ice if everything else is stock then unhooking the front swaybar will make it a little more predictable.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I was told to run low air pressures and to disconnect front and rear sway bars. I was also wondering if we should get some sand bags for the rear...

kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

I wouldn't disconect the rear... it's easy enough to test different configurations.

Sand might make some differences, but with AWD I don't think you'll notice a big change, just a loss of all that weight reduction you've been doin.

Air pressure is a good tuning aid, I don't usually have the patience for it. Lower pressure = better traction. Similar to a softer swaybar. Stay above 10 pounds.

Just like the swaybars, find an empty icy lot and do some comparisions. Find the weight, tire, swaybar combination that works for you and balances oversteer vs understeer.
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

The weight reduction is more for the summer rallyx races. I will gladly add weight to the back of the car if the rear wants to come around a little to easy in snow/ice. Not sure how much of a difference it would make though.

The car actually looks like a car again! The dash is back in and ready to rock! Got a few more things to do before this weekend, but nothing to major. Biggest job we need to do right now is maybe pull the intake manifold off to fix a coolant leak.

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Here are a few pictures from the past weekends ice race! The race was a HUGE success as we took home a 1st and 2nd place finishes in our class! Nick (Pita84) took first, and I was a few seconds behind in second!