removing/painting chrome door handles

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

amdrunner
In Neutral

removing/painting chrome door handles

Post by amdrunner »

Searching around the forum I found some short paragraphs on how to paint the chrom door handles ...but I'm still kind of not sure how to do it.

So I have to take the chrom off with sand paper? and then there was some talk about using some etching material or something?

Also is it possible to take out the door handles, because my driver side door handle is broken?
94.GT.Wagon
First Gear

Post by 94.GT.Wagon »

Taking out the door handles is relatively easy. Remove the door trim panel, disconnect the rod that goes from the handle to the latch, then remove the two bolts that hold the handle in from the inside. Should come right out after that.

As far as painting the chrome ones, I'd recommend finding a set at the junk yard that are already painted. Way less work to repaint a painted handle the proper color than to prep and paint a chrome one.
Todd

2002 Legacy GT Wagon 2.5/5mt
1999 Legacy Outback Limited Wagon 2.5/4eat(wife)
1998 Forester S 2.5/4eat
1972 Buick Electra Limited 455/TH400
1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360/TF727
SPUMONI_RT
First Gear

Post by SPUMONI_RT »

Why chrome is beautiful? You should be polishing not painting. In my opinion.
-Spumoni-
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I can't stand chrome. I think it looks hideous.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You'll want to completely disassemble the door handles to paint them. Get after the chrome with something rough, and then work it back up about 800 grit. The inside rough casting will be tricky.

No matter what you paint it with, always use an acid primer(self etching) on bare metal, no matter what the metal is.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd go to car-part.com and find painted ones. You'll have to search through to find them, but most are specified chrome or not. Start at the lowest price page and you might be able to get them for $10-15 each.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.