ABS light in 2004 honda accord

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

ABS light in 2004 honda accord

Post by magicmike »

Hey Guys,

My girlfriends 2004 Honda Accord has the damn ABS light on. I've researched and it looks like I HAVE to go somewhere with an ABS scan tool to find out whats wrong with it. The dealer wants $115 dollars!!!! to plug into a port and tell me what sensor is bad!!! those fuckers!!! I called a few other places and the cheapest I can find is $50 bucks. Are there any other options for me to find out whats wrong? The light is on when you start the car and it stays on. This leads me to think that its more than just a wheel sensor as I think if it was a wheel sensor that it would go out after starting the car and come back on when the car started rolling.

Your thoughts?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

First and foremost... check all your fuses, both related and non-related to ABS. It costs you nothing to do.

Has it been on for a couple days now? Because ABS systems are almost like Windows computers... they screw up every once in a while for no good reason, then the problem goes away just as mysteriously as it appeared.

My friend's Jeep turned on its ABS light just recently and I began to look for ways to diagnose it... and then it went back off and has not come back on since.

Good thing too... because I could find no other way to diagnose it than go to the dealer. There's no U-check mode or anything.

I expect you to run into the same thing with her car, I'm afraid. OBD1 is dead. :?

Furthermore, Vikash once explained to me that ABS systems do not partially function in the presence of a fault. If anything whatsoever goes wrong, ABS shuts down entirely and illuminates the ABS light constantly. So even a faulty wheel sensor will render the entire ABS system useless.

I experienced that when I did the front wheel bearings on my grandfather's 93 wagon. I ruined one of the wheel sensors in the process, and the ABS light was on constantly, and the brakes would lock up.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
casanovaw
In Neutral

Post by casanovaw »

Being a Honda tech i can tell you there is no other way to pull a ABS.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Try Schucks. I know that they let you use their OBDII scanner for free, may as well see if they have something to check the ABS.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

asc_up wrote:Try Schucks. I know that they let you use their OBDII scanner for free, may as well see if they have something to check the ABS.
I'm on the east coast, the closest store to me is in michigan :)
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Hahaha oh shit. Well then, never mind.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

You can at least check all the wheel sensors, because they're usually the most likely part to get damaged. Metal shavings stuck to the magnet can cause a fault, as well as chafed/torn sensor wires and chipped reluctor rings. Just a thought :-)
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

screw it, she has a nail in her tire so shes going to the guy she always goes to and he's checking the codes for 50 bucks. Thanks guys!
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale