my new 328K mile gl

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

race_to_live
First Gear

my new 328K mile gl

Post by race_to_live »

so today i picked up a gl wagon from a friend. 328k miles. green. white stock wheels. runs like a pup. gets 30mpg...driving like a grandma. im real excited because this thing is bad. anywho i just wanted to tell people cuz im excited. and by the way is there anything i can do to get a bit more power out of it haha other then adjust the rockers everynow and then haha
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

TITTYWOP
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

This thread is worthless without pictures! :)
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
baddriver
First Gear

Re: my new 328K mile gl

Post by baddriver »

race_to_live wrote:so today i picked up a gl wagon from a friend. 328k miles. green. white stock wheels. runs like a pup. gets 30mpg...driving like a grandma. im real excited because this thing is bad. anywho i just wanted to tell people cuz im excited. and by the way is there anything i can do to get a bit more power out of it haha other then adjust the rockers everynow and then haha
GL's will run a long time. My ex sold her good running GL 4WD wagon with 350K miles on it a while ago. She just wanted something newer and less reliable.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

My GL was running really damn strong. just had to change the valve cover gaskets once in it. However due to the new england winters the car was a total rust bucket and I lost the brakes in it TWICE and after the second time of stepping on the pedal and it going to the floor and the car not stopping and almost crapping my pants I junked the car. The brake lines were rotted to all hell and I wasn't prepared to replace all of them for a safe second winter car.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Are you guys talking EA81 or EA82? If it weren't for rust, I might still have my '84 wagon. Rust got the '83 sedan, too, but the tree that fell on it is what really did it in.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Doesn't anyone believe in rust proofing there car :S
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Both GLs came rust-proofed with Rusty Jones! Guaranteed no rust-through for 10 years. Long out of business before then. Rusty Jones was a fitting name.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Is this a joke I am confused to be honest haha.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

A real-life joke. It was a rust-proofing company with a lumberjack looking cartoon character for the spokesman. Never saw one of their treated cars that wasn't rusted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusty_Jones

According to that article, it was an insurance issue that put them out of business, but I find it hard to believe that was the only reason. I do believe it was highly profitable—dealerships sold cars with the "treatment" and I don't think they actually did a damn thing.

I can't paste a picture of the sticker at work, but a Google search will get you that.
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

HA! I remember Rusty Jones!

Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

there is only one problem i have ran into with the car...I can't put gas in it. Is there another key for the gas tank because the ign. key doesn't work. so if there is another key how would i go about getting another?
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sounds like the previous owner put an atftermarket locking gas cap on the car. Ask your friend -- hopefully he still has the key. If not, you might have to consult a locksmith.

Or I wonder if you could remove the filler neck with the cap still attached and replace that...
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

If it's a locking gas cap, see if there is a number on the face of the lock barrel. That number should correspond to a key number for that manufacturer, and you can buy one to open it. There are probably only 300 or so key numbers, and you can order the keys online for a couple dollars.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

They can't be very complicated locks. Ever picked a lock? I've done a very simple 2-pin with a couple dental tools. Took longer than I thought, but it worked.
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

True... On some of those simple locks you can often just jam a similar key into it and wiggle it around until the lock lets go.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

ok, finally got a pic. and let me tell you she is a real babe ha
sorry about the quality, its from my phone

-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

You just could not take a pic with all 4 wheels firmly on the ground could you?! Nice though :D
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
LostinMaine
In Neutral

Post by LostinMaine »

a friend of mine has a lifted one. those things are seriously cool!
Co Founder of MaineSubies.com

91 SS, in need of some major TLC (work in progress)

Im lost in Maine, but ill find my way out eventually
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Aw, dude, that thing is SICK! The green is badass—looks like a military vehicle. If I had that instead of silver back in high school, I would've gone all USAAF theme either as something reminiscent of an aerodrome transport car or an AVG P-40 or 87th Airforce B-17, nose art and all. Those cars are almost indestructible. Just damn rust is their Achille's Heel.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

evolutionmovement wrote:... I don't think they actually did a damn thing.
The gl wagon I had to scrap due to rot WAS "rusty jones" protected lol. They totally detroy a car when doing the treatment.

They basically sprayed undercoating on everything. And i mean EVERYTHING and over EVERYTHING.

Under the hood was undercoating on alot of stuff, over wires etc.

They drilled holes in all the doors and sprayed that shit in all the doors "actually blocking the drains and causing the doors to rot out".

Sprayed all the wheel wells right over the struts springs brakes lines.

They actually drilled holes under the sill plates and sprayed shit in there.

The car was bitched up and a total rust bucket.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My wagon as well and that's what took it from this world. I can't remember if my sedan had it. I think not and that would figure since that had some rust, but far less. A tree is what really took that one.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

nice find, those are starting to get kinda rare(well, everywhere but here :P ).
i want to build a snowboarding rig out of a ea81 wagon. ej22t, D/R 5sp, EJ crossmember/suspension with adapter lift blocks, and enough lift/hacking to clear 31" MTR's.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

so the wagon need a new clutch. i found a few that are for the 83 1.8 brat. they are the same thing correct?
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Should be. They only had the 1.6 (rare and might have only been on the DL hatch at that point), 1.8, and 1.8 turbo (auto only).