I need a new tire

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

I need a new tire

Post by Apex3 »

I'm still not understanding the whole 4WD vs AWD thing. Tire shops say they have to replace all 4 tires on AWD vehicles, but not 4WD, is this still true for full time 4WD cars? I have a bulge in one that needs to be replaced, I bought the tires 6 months ago, and I don't want to have to buy a full set of tires, but I don't know how to argue the point to the tire shop.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I believe what they mean is for vehicles that only use 4WD offroad it may not be necessary to replace them all like it would be if you use AWD on the road like a subaru.

That's just my guess.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Your tire circumferance needs to be within 1/4" of each other. So if the tires you bought 6 months ago provide that, you should be able to buy just one tire.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Legacy777 wrote:Your tire circumferance needs to be within 1/4" of each other. So if the tires you bought 6 months ago provide that, you should be able to buy just one tire.
ok, cool, so it is essentially(or exactly?) the same as an AWD system? At least as far as tires are concerned? I just wasn't sure if Subaru using the term 4WD meant it was different.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Technically, Subarus are 4WD. The difference between a 4WD vehicle and an AWD vehicle is that 4WD is switchable between 4WD and 2WD. AWD basically means that the car is always in 4WD and cannot be switched out of it.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Thanks for the info!

They ended up replacing all 4 because they had somehow worn down half to nearly 50% in 10k miles :shock: so they couldn't just do two.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Under warrenty they did it?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

ericem wrote:Under warrenty they did it?
Under us bitching about it. It was a combination of the fact that the dumb cunt that was such a prick the last time we were there didn't want to replace the tire at all because she said I hit a curb, and that the tires that have a 50k mile warranty were already half worn out. Didn't ask for 4 free tires, an adjustment would have been fine, but I think they just wanted to get rid of us.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I Though AWD was used to descride a system that uses a center diff rather than a transfer case with solid connection between front and rear?
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

awd means you dont decide when all 4 wheels are going or not the car does, possibly by tcu or viscous center diff...

4wd means you can push a button or pull a lever like on a pickup and choose 2wd or 4wd and when you choose 4wd it locks all 4 so all 4 wheels are going no matter what the traction is.

there are scenarios like with the sti where you can pick the bias from 50-50 to 80-20 or something but you cant pick 2wd so all 4 are still driven and therefore its still awd not 4wd.

since you can pick 2wd with a 4wd vehicle if the front and rear tires dont match its no big deal as long as its in 2wd mode. because only 2 wheels are driven so there will not be any stress on the drivetrain.

having said that i've seen awd vehicles have 4 different tires for the life of the tires with no issues on the drivetrain. but i still wouldnt reccommend it.

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

[quote="mexicanzero"]
having said that i've seen awd vehicles have 4 different tires for the life of the tires with no issues on the drivetrain. but i still wouldnt reccommend it.
[/quote

True. The problem is that some tire manufacturers don't actually size their tires the same. A 205/55-16 by Goodyear may be more than 1/4" taller than the same sized tire made by Bridgestone. I own a car that was the "victim" of mismatched tires- I had to replace the center differential as soon as I got it.
SUBARUEHS Racing
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Apex3 wrote:Thanks for the info!

They ended up replacing all 4 because they had somehow worn down half to nearly 50% in 10k miles :shock: so they couldn't just do two.
Get an alignment right away. Do some searching around here for full background, but start with this:

0 toe, all four corners
Front: max. negative camber, same left and right.

If you had really bad tire wear you may have suspension issues. Having the alignment will either fix it or will help find the source of the problem. Either way, you don't want to kill your new set of tires over the next few thousand miles.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Subarus seem pretty tolerant of tire size abuse and being towed with one axle on the ground, etc... The 4wd system in my VW Syncro would be ruined in short order by any of these. It's a single viscous coupling in the front diff.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen