Installing new stereo

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Yeah, I yanked on it pretty good actually. the pic suck but you can see that little screw there. i took that off and yanked on it also. No give at all. I will try taking the casing apart...

Maybe the Canadian stereos were a different production line.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, maybe. In any case, you could get one of those extensions and then make your aftermarket stereo work.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Yeah, here are more pics. If the antenna cord has an end like yours it is buried in aluminum and the hole in the back end is too small for it to come out.

Took the housing apart and can see the soldered ends of the antenna, no plug. If there is a plug then it is in that back end casing and I don't know how to get it apart.

At any rate, I like my idea about a hidden antenna and getting rid of the exterior one completely. I am headed back to the vendor to get a real harness with both pieces.....

Why does everything always have to be complicated :smt073
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, it looks like it definitely is a single piece. Weeeeird.

I have an amplified antenna stuck on my windshield. It gives okay results, but it's nowhere near as good as a proper antenna.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

had to stop in at NAPA for butt connectors an dthey had an extension for $4 so i picked it up.

so... Vikash, is there a part number for the mast only so I can avoid the $200 power antenna assembly?
Andrew

95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

SVXdc
In Neutral

Post by SVXdc »

(waking an old thread, but had to post this)

Radios in many Subaru models/years have the antenna jack at the end of a 1- to 2-foot "pigtail" like in Andrew's earlier picture...

That's it. There's not another connector hiding on the rear of the radio.

When you replace the factory radio with an aftermarket one, you'll need to buy an antenna extension cable, because the car's antenna plug won't reach all the way up to the rear of the new radio. The SVX is the same way.

Some other Subaru radios (and most aftermarket radios) have the Motorola antenna jack directly on the rear of the radio chassis.

ADDED: Here's an archived version of vrg3's part number list.
Last edited by SVXdc on Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David C.

1996 SVX L AWD Laguna Blue Pearl
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

I have 1 with the pigtail, and 3 with the Motorola jack... guess which one had the damaged end :(
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

anyone know how i can fix this issue

i have install aftermarket radio cd player and right now mno matter if i am on he cd player my power antenna rise up

and i dont want this we got big winter here and a lot of bag temper ppl around here.

is ther a way that trhe antenna rise only if the fm tuner is on?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

yazmo wrote:is ther a way that trhe antenna rise only if the fm tuner is on?
That has to be supported by the radio. Some have a seperate turn-on lead for an antenna. Some just have a single "amp" turn-on lead that is on whenever the radio is on.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

That is correct. Kenwood, JVC & Clarion both have independent 12v switched turn-on leads specifically for the power antenna.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

i have a clarion radio but i dont see two different 12v

i got onw red wire that supply 12v and lue and white stripe wire for .0.5 amp for the power antenna

so if i wanna fix this i have to buy new radio?

i just weld the wire oh my gosh lol

maybe if i go with those euro style power antenna on ebay wold be a solution? any tought

ebay link

i have a question you said some radio have two wire what is the wire on the harmness of the leagcy what color is it bcuz all the wire are connect i dont have any left not connected except the power for the cd player oem.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Odd, the Clarion I have is from my days of working for local car audio shops and the age of the radio is 5-6yrs old. Rather surprising that Clarion would remove that feature from their radios.

You can wire the power antenna lead to a toggle switch if you so feel the desire. Simply install it in the plastic below the ash tray so you don't have far to run wires.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

drop that sound good the power antenna have 1 one wire what other wire would i need to use to the toggle switch?

can you explain to i have to splice the wire?
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

The red switched 12v lead that powers up the radio. You are just intersecting the power to the antenna, so no need to do anything extra.
Jason
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

dropdfocus wrote:The red switched 12v lead that powers up the radio. You are just intersecting the power to the antenna, so no need to do anything extra.
hey guy i got that wire

Clarion both have independent 12v switched turn-on leads specifically for the power antenna.

edited ok i have check the blue wire are connected fine
its go to the green wire on the lagacy harnesss with grey stripe
should i put the switch on that green wire

bcuz if i put it on red wire the power wire the radio will be turn off is there is a way to just turn off the power antenna and not the whole radio

i tought that the green wire on the harmness would turn if off without close the whole system
Last edited by yazmo on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I thought so... To simply find out if it's the right one or not is to switch between the radio & CD mode. If the antenna goes down, then you've got it correct!
Jason
SVXdc
In Neutral

Post by SVXdc »

yazmo wrote:the power antenna have 1 one wire
what other wire would i need to use to the toggle switch?

can you explain to i have to splice the wire?
If your Clarion does not have a Blue "power antenna" wire, I suggest you continue using the Blue/White (amp remote) wire from your Clarion. That way, when you turn off the radio, the antenna will go down (even if you leave the toggle switch turned on).

Take the Blue/White wire coming out of the radio, connect it to one side of a toggle switch. Connect the other side of the switch to the wire going to your car's power antenna lead. That wire is usually Blue on an adapter harness. It's pin #6 on the 7-pin plug.

See pin-out table here: http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/bcstereo/
David C.

1996 SVX L AWD Laguna Blue Pearl
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Actually, I'm not sure why I didn't state that in the first place... I must be having a "sun baked" mental moment. :roll: If he does have both blue wires as he's now stating, then he's already setup for switched antenna power.
Jason
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

ill go try the swicth brb in couple minute thx guys

ok i have made it all i need is use a switch with the blue/white wire
work like a charm thx everyone