wagon sun roof

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Arturo
First Gear

wagon sun roof

Post by Arturo »

hi i have a 90ls wagon with sun roof. Since i live in the tropics mine is all rusted arond the glass seal and i dont want to drive with a in car water part anymore jajaaj so if anyone has a good non leaking sun roof for sell let me know. Even if a live in PR the part is going to be shipped to my other house in FL. Please let me know
Suby tech on the way
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Yes I have one that I just recently cleaned up and resealed. Shipping to FL would be nuts though... I assume you just need the frame, not the glass.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Arturo
First Gear

Post by Arturo »

well actually i need everything because mine is extremely rusted to the point that i am scared to look up because i could loose an eye witch a chunk of rusted metal
Suby tech on the way
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

well if your glass is still intact then most likely you wont need to replace it. It's very very easy to pop the glass in and out of the sliding sunroof assembly. So reusing the glass you have would save $$ on shipping.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

biggreen96 wrote:well if your glass is still intact then most likely you wont need to replace it. It's very very easy to pop the glass in and out of the sliding sunroof assembly. So reusing the glass you have would save $$ on shipping.
I think he needs the glass, not the mechanism... the metal frame that the glass is integral to is what always rusts... mine was raining chunks for years.

...Arturo, make sure you blow out the drain tubes, either from above or below, w/ compressed air, they're probably clogged with rust bits, and this is what causes the floods when it rains; the water has nowhere to go. The roof is designed to deal with water getting past the rubber seal.
The sealant under the tracks is probably shot, too, this adds to the problem. You can try resealing in the car, but to do it right you need to remove the headliner and drop the whole sunroof tray assembly... (easy job, but it's awkward getting it in & out of the car), unscrew the tracks and chip out as much old sealant as you can, then re-seal with a good exterior caulk. Try to avoid silicone, as it will react and rust the steel.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen