Wastegate issue

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92legacyss
First Gear

Wastegate issue

Post by 92legacyss »

So i just got my TD04 and TMIC on and my wastegate seems to be opening between 3500-4500 RPM does anyone know why. My power is up but does me no good when the wastegate opens in the middle of my powerband. :(
92 ss 5MT..TD04, 02' Wrx TMIC, XS power Atmos. BOV and Gripforce stage 2 w/ WRX OEM Flywheel, Equal length headder and catless uppipe. Open DP and soon tobe CBE, WRX struts and springs, MBC
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

the wastegate opens once target boost is reached, the target can be regulated by the stock bcs or an aftermarket mbc or ebc. or by just the wastegate which i beleive is 9 psi or something depending on which td-04 you got.
so if you reach target boost by 2500rpm the wastegate will open so you dont overboost.

now that all this is clear what do you mean your wastegate is opening? not hitting targetted boost? not boosting at all? noise?

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

No the wastegate is fine but i think i do have a boost leak because my car will pull strong and all of a sudden it will jerk and loose power then regain power at about 2/3 throttle but if i ease on the throttle it will spool and hold power fine. i need to get silicone y-pipe for the intercooler it is pretty ghetto right now. thanks for the reply i just confused myself at first about the wastegate
92 ss 5MT..TD04, 02' Wrx TMIC, XS power Atmos. BOV and Gripforce stage 2 w/ WRX OEM Flywheel, Equal length headder and catless uppipe. Open DP and soon tobe CBE, WRX struts and springs, MBC
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

Also a sppppuuuttt when boosting from near the intercooler under the hood pretty sure it is a boost leak
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

yeah i had lots of issues with boost leaks from the stock y pipe cut up with a silicone 90 clamped on. then i switched to an ebay y pipe and it works like a charm.
i recommend the aluminum one it was tricky to fit onto the 06 tmic but it works well and is meant to fit one your tmic and its cheaper than the silicone y pipes

like this one
ebay link

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

Yeah thats pretty much what i had in mind thaks again for the reply oh when i bought my car it said it was tuned by razo and the original owner was an english professor at UVA so i dont think he was slapping stickers on it as far as i can tell all that, means is that the interior was a little nicer but not sure.
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

So after taking another look under the hood the vacumm line that goes from the BCS to the compressor outlet on the turbo came off so i assume i am overboosting and getting a fuel cut because the wastegate is not opening . Corrrect me if i am wrong but in order for the wastegate to open the BCS has to know the PSI that the turbo is producing and then at about 9 PSI opens the wastegate to regulate the boost and keep from overboosting now since that line was off am i to assume that the BCS cannot receive the info it needs to work properly?
92legacyss
First Gear

Some pics of turbo and intercooler

Post by 92legacyss »

C:\Users\Nick and Madeline\Pictures\2009-09-21\218.JPG
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

sorry id did not work
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

3 lines on the BCS:
1. Top goes to Turbo
2. Middle goes to Wastegate,
3. Bottom goes to resonator box.

If #1 or 2 aren't connected, it's not controlling boost.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

yeah #1 has broken so new lines are going on tonight
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

oh yeah thats a biggie for sure! you should have a boost gauge!!!! then you would've known long ago what was happening. seriously you can get em for like 20$ even a shitty one is better than nothing. theres no need for the fancy digital ones a plain jane mechanical will do.

i dig your engine bay, nice spt paint job, gives me ideas.. how do you like the blow off valve? any issues with rich misses when going off throttle? i've been looking for something decent to replace the stocker that isnt too loud, or maybe a loud recirculating one or something.

btw you should do the coffee cup mod and the snorkus mod if you havent, they both make a decent difference and are close to free if youre handy.

and think about the revtronix stage 2 chip (do your exhaust first if you havent) its fun to run 17 psi safely and you cant beat it in the bang for your buck department

-alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

92legacyss
First Gear

Post by 92legacyss »

Well the good news is the turbo has only been on for like three days and i figured out the problem real quick. I dont really see any need for a boost gauge untill i decide to crank it up the BOV is nice not too loud and for $50 shiped it is a great start but i will most def. be getting a nice turbo XS recirc when i have $160 extra. Exaust is def. next then air fuel meter along with a boost gauge and mbc still lots to do but i'm looking forward to it. my scooby is pretty much my only hobbie. Thanks for your help Alex have a good one