bubble in coolant overflow. Head gasket?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

oldbugeye
In Neutral

bubble in coolant overflow. Head gasket?

Post by oldbugeye »

So I just got a 92 legacy turbo there is a bubble in the coolant overflow every few secants when the car is on. Should I be worried is this normal? I have herd a leak in the head gasket can make this happen. And how hard is it to pull the motor and replace them I had a wrx before this so I have done some work on Subarus but never the head gaskets. Thanks
Last edited by oldbugeye on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Could be a rad cap, but if the cap wasn't sealing I don't see how a rad cap not sealing would cause bubbles since technically the fluid would just expand into the overflow. Hmmm . Best thing to try is remove the rad cap, burp it a bit engine off and cool. Then wash the rad cap with dish soap, really wipe the rubber particularly with your fingers. Give it another try.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Ok I will try that. I think its the head gasket though...it smells like gas kinda but the car idles well, holds boost I never see white smoke except in the rain or snow but, I can smell coolant out side of the car it has 222thousand miles on it also. I couldn't believe how well the car runs for how many miles it has my wrx ran worse at 170thousand miles. Thanks
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

the good ol' Legacies :D.... way overlooked by most subie guys haha
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Ok I got a new rad cap and it is still blowing bubbles. :roll: Is there anything other than a rad cap that can cos this to happen?
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

a bad headgasket could I guess :)
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

Could i tell if i pressure test it?
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

what you can do is take it down to a shop and have em put the exhaust sniffer in the coolant tank which i think detects CO or maybe its CO2? dont remember but that is how you tell if the bubbles are exhaust. also i believe you can get an analysis done on a sample of teh coolant.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped