STALLING WHEN YOU TURN OFF INTERIOR HEAT!!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

The Scooby
Second Gear

STALLING WHEN YOU TURN OFF INTERIOR HEAT!!

Post by The Scooby »

ok so ive been messin around with this 92 legacy wagon for a few hours and can't figure this out.

so you have the heat on, and the car idling, press the off button and it stalls.

i changed the ALT, as well as the TCU (had one a few years back that would stall because the TCU was locking the TQ converter at idle)

any ideas?
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

May have something to do with the compressor clutch. Maybe its is not disengaging when the heater is turned off, or some such thing. Some of the electrical smart people on here will help you.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

there is no belt on the A/C compressor and its unplugged.

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

bad IAC when you change voltage loads, it does adjust idle slightly and I guess your idle control valve just dies at a certain duty cycle. Spray some intake cleaner or pour some seafoam down the IAC tube.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It only happens at idle? Have you tried turning on and off other electrical loads, like the lights? What if the heat isn't on prior to idle?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

ericem wrote:bad IAC when you change voltage loads, it does adjust idle slightly and I guess your idle control valve just dies at a certain duty cycle. Spray some intake cleaner or pour some seafoam down the IAC tube.
i thought about that but if it was sticking it wouldn't idle up properly when cold.

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

evolutionmovement wrote:It only happens at idle? Have you tried turning on and off other electrical loads, like the lights? What if the heat isn't on prior to idle?
i have the lights on and off, as well as the radio on/off and tried other things like the ac on/off.

whenever i hit the buttons it drops rpms no matter what button i hit on the climate control. but it only stalls when i hit the off button.

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Maybe it's an "engine off" button.

I'd like to say it would have something to do with a bad temp sensor, but can't seem to figure how that would stall it. I don't know how the wiring would even interact with the ignition/fuel. F'n weird. Has the wiring been messed with at all? PO adding some madtyte system or something?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
The Scooby
Second Gear

Post by The Scooby »

bone stock

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

does it do it with every button on the HVAC or only specific ones?
Are there any other things that are strange about the hvac system or heater?
What is the running voltage?

just trying to ask questions that may help to narrow it down.

It may have something to do with the AC idle up. since you have no ac in place and the hvac functions that use the ac tell it to idle up, but it doesnt have the ac load on it, then you tell the ecu to get rid of the idle up by turning off the hvac unit, then it idles down to the point where it stalls.

I guess try resetting the ecu. :?

anyone know if there is an identifier pin for AC on the ecu that you could clip to tell it that it does not have AC?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I was thinking along the lines of a vacuum leak when you turn it off. Aren't the flappers all vacuum controlled? Am I way off base here?

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

jefferson wrote:I was thinking along the lines of a vacuum leak when you turn it off. Aren't the flappers all vacuum controlled? Am I way off base here?

Jeff
Extremely off base lol haha xD its electronic actuators too I believe.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, the HVAC doors are electrically controlled.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm