'09 Malibu vs. '59 Bel Air

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

'09 Malibu vs. '59 Bel Air

Post by 93forestpearl »

They don't make cars like they used to, which is fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwYBBpHg1I
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I was reading on Jalopnik that the body and frame on the 59 was rusted out.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
jeffast
First Gear

Post by jeffast »

that would make a lot of sense seeing how that car buckled
92 SVX LSL tour- 5spd swap baby
92 turbo touring wagon now also 5-speed swapped
89 xt6 stock
[quote="danetrain"]Fuck wyoming[/quote]
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

jeffast wrote:that would make a lot of sense seeing how that car buckled
I'd still want to be in a modern car in a crash - Imagine spending all your money for years restoring a car, just to be in a stupid traffic accident. uggh.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I would hope 50 years of safety advances would yield better results with the newer car. After all, what else has advanced besides engine tech? What I find funny is that the Malibu only weighs about 200 lbs. less than the Bel Air.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The guy in the malibu would have survived that though. The guy in the bel air is dead. Did you see the steering wheel come right at him and crush the shit out of him? Watch the steering wheel in the malibu, doesn't even budge. In those old cars that was a huge problem. The steering column would get pushed forward by the engine and kill you. Plus the engine comes through the firewall instead of going under the car as they do now.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Steering columns were solid back then, often the column was capped by a nice point like a warhead tip. They didn't have seat belts because prevailing wisdom of the time dictated that it was better to be thrown from the car than stay in it in event of a crash. Sick thing is, they were probably right. It seems to have stemmed from racing. Two famous examples would be Bernd Rosemeyer and Alfonso de Portago. Rosemeyer was thrown out of his car at somewhere approaching 300 mph, ending up in a tree. He died shortly after, but was arguably better off than being in the car. De Portago wasn't thrown from his Ferrari—he was cut in half by the hood when a tire blew at 150 mph, taking out 10 spectators and ending the Mille Miglia in the process.
Last edited by evolutionmovement on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

Also the '59 is what is called a "Wasp waist" or "X" frame, there is no perimetre frame under the doors, so the off center hit folded it over on itself. A true head on would not have done as much damage...

But head on's are rarely dead center, so it's a real world impact. Except for the 50 years of frame rust...
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

screw safety, i'd take a 59 chevy over an 09 chevy any day.

1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped