Transmission and front diff

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubieBro
In Neutral

Transmission and front diff

Post by SubieBro »

I was told to remember to fill the front diff when installing 5 speed my tranny but couldn't find where, i was wondering if filling the transmission would just overflow into the front diff, or is there two compartments?
'93 turbo legacy
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

I assume you mean an AT, in which case the two are not connected. The front diff takes ~GL-5, while the transmission takes ATF. If it's an MT, the diff and the gearbox share the same fluid and there is only one dipstick.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
SubieBro
In Neutral

Post by SubieBro »

perfect thanx :)
'93 turbo legacy
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

fishbone79 wrote:I assume you mean an AT, in which case the two are not connected. The front diff takes ~GL-5, while the transmission takes ATF. If it's an MT, the diff and the gearbox share the same fluid and there is only one dipstick.
So, if you guys don't mind me also asking...

What is the oil capacity then for the front diff and trans since it is the same compartment in a MT? Use any GL-5 75W-90 Oil?

Thank you!!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I believe it's something like 3.5 L. Do NOT put in 4 L of gear oil. You can use pretty much any gear oil, I picked up my gear oil from the Subie dealer.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

asc_up wrote:I believe it's something like 3.5 L. Do NOT put in 4 L of gear oil. You can use pretty much any gear oil, I picked up my gear oil from the Subie dealer.
Thank you very much! I'm guessing the rear diff takes about 1L?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, filling the rear diff. is rather crude. You basically just drain it, then plug up the drain hole and pump the 'fill' hole with gear oil until it begins to spill out.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

asc_up wrote:Yeah, filling the rear diff. is rather crude. You basically just drain it, then plug up the drain hole and pump the 'fill' hole with gear oil until it begins to spill out.
Got you, thank you very much!!