Breaking in rebuilt motor

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

So I bought a fully rebuilt ej22t motor and it will be installed tomorrow any tips for breaking it in.
SubieBro
In Neutral

Post by SubieBro »

I was told not to go over 3 rpms for the first 100 miles and then give it an oil change at the first 100 mile mark, mainly to clean out all your old gunk from the rebuild, and just get to see what is looks like, and then another oil change at 500. then your good to go for normal oil changes.
'93 turbo legacy
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

There are a lot of opinions on this,i mean a lot.I rebuilt my engine myself,and obviously broke it in myself and this is the approach i took.

first run - idle up to operating temp,check everythinhg.let it cool totally!

Second run - mild drive around the neighborhood, let cool again.

repeat.

Change oil - i was paranoid,but cant go wrong.Also do not use synthetic oil during break in!

After this i drove the car normally for about 100 miles,after that i made sure to get the car to full boost at least once or twice per drive and use all the rpms freely.

The thing of it is you dont want to beat your engine early but at the same time you DO NOT want to baby the thing either.If you do not properly wear the crosshatch to the rings early you will not be able to ever without rehoning.This means excessive blowby and oil consumption for the life of the engine.This is a very important time in the engines life.

However it would be nice to know what you have specifically for an engine,as far as work done and parts installed.

Some good points here. http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll give my thoughts on the matter. When I rebuilt mine. I kind of followed similar protocol. I did not drive it gently, but also did not completely rag on it. Keeping engine rpm's varied is also something I heard would help with the break in.

In talking with Doug...whose rebuilt countless motors had said something along the lines of "break it in how you intend to drive it..."

If the valves were redone, they will make a lot of racket initially. That's normal. I think I changed the oil after about 1,000 miles. I wouldn't recommend going to synthetic until you have about 5,000 miles or so on the engine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here's my original thread about this

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... gine+break
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oldbugeye
In Neutral

Post by oldbugeye »

The motor is all oem I did put a td04 with a fmic, 3inch tbe, and an intake. 8) I am super exited about this!
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

'94 TW