AVO Turbo Rebuilders?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

skid542
Fifth Gear

AVO Turbo Rebuilders?

Post by skid542 »

Okay, I'm about to throw out a question I haven't done any type of real research on, but, I'm going to do it anyways :).

Is there a good reputable place I can send my newly aquired AVO320 turbo for a basic rebuild? The impellers have a little bit more shaft play than I'd prefere. It seems reasonable but once I put it back on the car I'm not going to want to mess with it again. I know Deadbolt works with a lot of TD's and such but not sure about the AVO turbos.

Also, what's a rough ballpark on pricing for a rebuild? I'm not looking at coating it right now but may.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Damon
Second Gear

Re: AVO Turbo Rebuilders?

Post by Damon »

I'm not sure Deadbolt is still in business. From the thread going on over on nasioc I don't think I would deal with them even if they are still around.
skid542 wrote:Okay, I'm about to throw out a question I haven't done any type of real research on, but, I'm going to do it anyways :).

Is there a good reputable place I can send my newly aquired AVO320 turbo for a basic rebuild? The impellers have a little bit more shaft play than I'd prefere. It seems reasonable but once I put it back on the car I'm not going to want to mess with it again. I know Deadbolt works with a lot of TD's and such but not sure about the AVO turbos.

Also, what's a rough ballpark on pricing for a rebuild? I'm not looking at coating it right now but may.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

yeah deadbolt is gone. the guy that ran it decided to get out of the business due to the economy.

what type of turbo is the avo320 based on? you might try rebuilding it yourself if there are kits available. otherwise avo themselves rebuilds if I am not mistaken.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

As to the original post.... :roll:

The AVOs center cartrage is garrett.

I dont think it would be a big ordeal finding someone to service it.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

There's a place in Corvallis that does turbos...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
onur
Vendor
Vendor

Post by onur »

Try kinetic turbos in Vancouver they have done a few rebuilds for us
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up just calling AVO and he seemed surprised that I was concerned about rebuilding it.

Apparently all bearing turbos have a tiny bit of shaft play until you get oil into it, according to the guy at least. So I think I'll search around Garret's information and find out what tolerances are on shaft play when they're dry.

This sound reasonable?

Then I'll move forward from there. Thank you again though for the replies and if I do need to rebuild it, I'll give your suggestionis a call.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.