Use your iPhone as an OBD-II read out device

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Use your iPhone as an OBD-II read out device

Post by dropdfocus »

I was checking out PLX Devices' website while looking at adding a gauge to add to their SM-AFR wideband unit I had already purchased. I stumbled across this nifty bit of information listed there about integration with the Apple iPhone/iTouch:
Kiwi Wifi
$149.99

Kiwi Wifi is a plug and play wireless device measuring only 2.75 x 1.25 x 0.6 inches. Kiwi Wifi comes attached with a 6 ft OBDII cable for easy installation. It also comes included with a power switch built-in to prevent the need for having to constantly disconnect your unit from the OBDII port. It is compatible with 1996 and later vehicles. Connecting to your iPhone / iPod touch is made by 802.11a/b/g connection in adHoc mode. This unit is upgradeable to Kiwi Wifi + iMFD. Technical Specifications SSID: PLXDevices IP: 192.168.0.10 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 Port: 35000 Range: 50 ft (Line of sight) Antenna: Internal Power Consumption: 0.7 Watts (With Power Switch) Wifi Standard: 802.11a/b/g Operating Temperature: -15 to 100 Deg Celsius Plastic: Automotive Grade Physical Dimensions: 2.75 x 1.25 x 0.6 inches Additional Sensor Support: None
Now if you already have one of their sensors/sending units then you can pick up their other version of the above item and get readouts from things like wideband, EGT, boost, oil pressure, etc.
Kiwi Wifi + iMFD
$249.99

Kiwi Wifi + iMFD combines the best of both worlds into one product. Since the OBDII port does not offer all the sensors you may want to monitor, the added iMFD sensor support allows you to add up to 32 additional dedicated sensor modules from the PLX product line. This includes wideband Air/Fuel Ratio, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Fluid Temperatures and much more. If you're already an owner of the standard Kiwi Wifi, we offer a $100 upgrade option if you later decide you need iMFD sensor support. The Kiwi Wifi + iMFD is 100% backwards compatible with Kiwi Wifi.
The added benefit of Kiwi Wifi + iMFD is that with every additional iMFD sensor module you add, your performance does not degrade. For example, if you're monitoring only 1 sensor from the OBDII port and your refresh rate is 5Hz, by monitoring 2 sensors, your refresh drops to 2.5Hz and so on. By adding 1 or 32 iMFD sensors, your refresh rate is always kept constant at 10Hz. This results in higher performance monitoring for even the most demanding applications.

PLX Display Modules are also compatible with the PLX iMFD serial stream. If you require additional dedicated displays be sure to check out our Multi-Gauges and Single Gauges.

Technical Specifications SSID: PLXDevices IP: 192.168.0.10 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 Port: 35000 Range: 50 ft (Line of sight) Antenna: Internal Power Consumption: 0.75 Watts (With Power Switch) Wifi Standard: 802.11a/b/g Operating Temperature: -15 to 100 Deg Celsius Plastic: Automotive Grade Physical Dimensions: 2.75 x 1.25 x 1.2 inches Additional Sensor Support: PLX iMFD Sensor Module Support
I figured this may interest some of the members on here that own an iPhone like I do.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces