EWG Questions

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Ok, once I get everything installed, I'm going to set it up in the "bleed" method, just because I can use the existing hoses to get it up and running as quickly as possible.

If it works fine, then great. If not, I'll try the 'interrupt' method and pray that switching the stock intake and WG lines allows everything to work properly.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Lines L & K are what are connected with nothing connected to the stock BCS. So it's setup to default (fail) safe.

From reading of the posts, I think out of the box, leaving the top port on the EWG would be the best likely and safest scenario to start with.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I'm in full agreement with you on that Josh. I'll let you guys know how it goes once I actually get the EWG and up-pipe.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Uno mas questions:

When you have a MBC setup on an IWG, you usually get varying boost levels in different gears (at least that's what me and a few friends have experienced). I.e. 15 PSI in 2nd gear, but 17 PSI in 3rd gear.

Will this still happen on an EWG? Or is the cause for the varying pressures due to the IWG being too small or something?
-Aaron

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

A good manual boost controller that uses a ball and a spring (like a Hallman) will open at a given pressure no matter the gear. A bleed valve MBC will have variability between gears due to the fixed orifice.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Higher boost in higher gears is caused by higher engine loading in those taller gears.

As for your EWG....since you're using the stock BCS mapped for an IWG.....it's hard to say exactly what it's going to do. But if the stock map works well, then it should act the same as the IWG with stock boost control.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

As long as he uses the same same spring, otherwise the ultimate pressure could be different.
→Dan

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Ok, I have a TurboXS MBC so I should be good if I need to use it.
Last edited by asc_up on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Aaron

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

And the chip is mapped for a .6 bar wastegate (for the VF39), so I requested to have a .6 bar spring with the MV-S.
-Aaron

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Oh. My. GOD!

Fucking amazing. Took me about 3 hours to do, but damn was it worth it!

Boost is ROCK solid. It instantly spools up to 18 PSI and holds it steady. It used to spike up to 20-21 PSI then 'flutter' around 18 PSI. My butt dyno is definitely telling me that I have more power, I would assume that this is because boost comes on more quickly and can be held steady.

And holy shit, when this thing opens it sounds NASTY! But the good kind of nasty. Can't wait to throw the FP Green into the mix...
-Aaron

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Ok, new question. I've been applying to a few different police angencies lately (yeah, I know, you all hate me) and I need my car to be as stock sounding as possible.

I was thinking about throwing a stock STi axle-back on to quiet everything down. Of course, my main concern is the back pressure this will create. From what I've read, the stock STi axle-back has a 2.5" diameter and a couple of sound deadening plates in the muffler - so I would assume it will flow much less than the 3" can I have on there now.

BUT, with the EWG setup, do you think it would divert enough gas through it and out of the muffler to not create much more back pressure than there was when I just had a stock exhaust and no EWG? I know this will mostly be speculation, but I could really use a few decent opinions on this.

Thanks in advance guys.
-Aaron

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

So, you have a muffler on the wastegate dump? My EWG was obscenely loud without it routed back in.

I really don't have any experience with exhausts like the Borla Hush and other setups like it.

Why does your personal car have anything to do with applying to a law enforcement agency?
→Dan

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

My ewg is dumped to atmo, but the rest of the exhaust is routed through the muffler.

My car matters because I can't get another exhaust violation ticket.
-Aaron