Need Confirmation Please - 04 WRX Shifter Assembly

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Kimo, I looked into your journal last night and I realized a couple of things:

I don't have the proper punches, so I will have to use some 5mm and 8mm bolts like you did.

This may sound really dumb, but do I HAVE to take the tranny out to do this? If so, I don't really have the proper tools at my house to do this and I might have to take it to a garage.

BTW Kiko, your car looks great. I hope to start my own journal soon, but I wish I would have taken pics of the car when I first got it.

Also, I see that you got a new spring for the setup too...should I get one as well?
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't think it needs to be out of the car to replace everything although it makes it much easier. I don't know if the hassle of removing the tranny is worth it though. I did mine while the tranny was on a table in the garage so it was easy. But from the looks of it, it's probably a MAJOR PITA to do under the car. Especially trying to hammer that stupid joint off the shaft.

You don't need punches, the bolts worked great for me. I also use a bolt to remove the pins in the axles and that works great too. You can also usually use a battery tie down rod to remove axle pins. Just a random tip lol.
BTW Kiko, your car looks great. I hope to start my own journal soon, but I wish I would have taken pics of the car when I first got it.
Thanks, I've fallen in love with it without even driving it. As crazy as that sounds. Although I've had 2 other legacy wagons before this one. As long as you plan to do several mods to your car you can ask DLC and he'll let you make your own build thread. I'd like to see your car and your progress. I love build threads, I get a lot of ideas from them for my car. I know I've learned a lot from SLODRIVE's thread.

You can get that spring if you'd like. I was told it wears out and causes your side to side movement of the shifter to become loose. I've also read that it breaks if tampered with if it's old and rusty so that's why I replaced mine. It's cheap so you might as well.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:I don't think it needs to be out of the car to replace everything although it makes it much easier. I don't know if the hassle of removing the tranny is worth it though. I did mine while the tranny was on a table in the garage so it was easy. But from the looks of it, it's probably a MAJOR PITA to do under the car. Especially trying to hammer that stupid joint off the shaft.

You don't need punches, the bolts worked great for me. I also use a bolt to remove the pins in the axles and that works great too. You can also usually use a battery tie down rod to remove axle pins. Just a random tip lol.
Thanks, I've fallen in love with it without even driving it. As crazy as that sounds. Although I've had 2 other legacy wagons before this one. As long as you plan to do several mods to your car you can ask DLC and he'll let you make your own build thread. I'd like to see your car and your progress. I love build threads, I get a lot of ideas from them for my car. I know I've learned a lot from SLODRIVE's thread.

You can get that spring if you'd like. I was told it wears out and causes your side to side movement of the shifter to become loose. I've also read that it breaks if tampered with if it's old and rusty so that's why I replaced mine. It's cheap so you might as well.
Thank you, Kiko. I think that it will be hard as well to try and do this with the tranny still in the car. It will be very tight under the car to be able to do all of this. I guess I will try and see how it goes.

So, I have to remove the pins in the axles to do this too? I'm kind of confused on why I would have to do that. This is starting to sound like something I might not be able to do in my own garage.

I'm going to start taking pics of the car and my progress to start my own build journal.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No you don't need to remove the axles. Didn't mean to confuse you, I was just saying that you can also use a battery tie down rod to remove the pins in the axles if you ever have to remove them for anything.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

I think you only would have to remove the pins for the axles if you're going to remove the trans to do the project. :wink:
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Part number for the spring is 33022GA081.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Thanks guys!! I'm going to order these parts then: the spring (33022GA081) and the linkage joint (35047AC030) from 1stsubaruparts.com.

Thank you very much again for all of the helpful info you guys have posted for me.

I will go find some 5mm and 8mm bolts and just wait for the spring and joint to get here!

Thanks!!
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd really recommend getting a set of punches. They will make the job easier.

Getting the roll pins back in can almost be more of a pain. I made a set of punches out of round bar that hold the roll pin so you can get it started.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... intcustom/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Legacy777 wrote:I'd really recommend getting a set of punches. They will make the job easier.

Getting the roll pins back in can almost be more of a pain. I made a set of punches out of round bar that hold the roll pin so you can get it started.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... intcustom/
Oh wow! Thank you very much. That will surely help me out a lot!!
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Ok, parts are ordered...
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Something I was thinking of last night...would it be easier to take the rear trans brace off so that it will lower the back end of the trans so it will enable me to work on this easier?

Would it be worth it or just try it first with everything bolted up?

Also, a friend of mine is going to let me borrow his punches.
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think taking the rear trans brace off is going to do anything. You would also have to take the pitch mount brace off, and even then, I'm not sure how much additional clearance you'd be able to get. Plus you'd have exhaust/turbo that would need to be removed. I wouldn't bother with it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Legacy777 wrote:I don't think taking the rear trans brace off is going to do anything. You would also have to take the pitch mount brace off, and even then, I'm not sure how much additional clearance you'd be able to get. Plus you'd have exhaust/turbo that would need to be removed. I wouldn't bother with it.
Ok, thank you for the advice...I will definitely take it.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Parts are in...I'm going to try this tomorrow
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Thank you everyone for all of your help! I installed the assembly yesterday! WOW, what a difference.

Check out my journal to see details and how I did it.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 666#314666
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
RCKSTR
In Neutral

Post by RCKSTR »

I just want to say thank you for posting up all this info! I hate the way my leggy shifts and I just so happen to have an extra wrx shifter linkage setup in my garage...

I'll be ordering those 2 parts and will be putting them in!
91 leggy SS, work in progress...

04 wrx w/ jdm twinscroll and lots more... 300whp :-)
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

It's like getting a new car for $50. :D
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Yeah RCKSTR, it is definitely worth it! Like Aerotech said, it is like getting a new car!

Check out my build thread for more info on the parts and how I did it if you want.
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

wow, thanks for all the info and part #s guys. I plan on doing this pretty soon. Just got the sti trim with the WRX boot and knob, like Kimo's set-up. But the short shifter would be sweet!!
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

its definitely worth it! best of luck on the install. let me know if you have any questions.
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
CFK
Second Gear

Re:

Post by CFK »

kimokalihi wrote: But from the looks of it, it's probably a MAJOR PITA to do under the car. Especially trying to hammer that stupid joint off the shaft.
OMG FML :smt093
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
mike-tracy

Re: Need Confirmation Please - 04 WRX Shifter Assembly

Post by mike-tracy »

PITA but not impossible.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
CFK
Second Gear

Re: Need Confirmation Please - 04 WRX Shifter Assembly

Post by CFK »

Ya, after reading this I went back out there and hammered the Sh!t out of the rod off the U-joint . Hammered it against the control arm and it finally came ! PITA but so worth it !!!
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily