Just got the TD04, now what

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Stock, the ECU can manage up to 440's (still may be rich)....some say 480's, but mine car ran poorly w/480's even after 300 miles of 'learning'.

So, your results may vary!
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
robbcolecrabtree
First Gear

Post by robbcolecrabtree »

Ah, that all makes sense. I just need to find a place that I can get the injectors from. Paying new is outrageous, and not necessary in my mind. Any ideas. Still looking for the top mount as well. Someone wanted $300 for one that had almost every fin bent up. What a joke, haha.
94 Legacy Turbo - SOLD!
04 WRX - SOLD!
07 STi - Couldn't ask for more in a car
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

imho, go with sti 550's. if your ever planning on running 300 horse these are the safe injectors for the job, but, you need the chip if your going that big. 04-06 usdm sti's use the 550's.

you'll need 92-94 n/a fuel rails for them to fit well, or adapters. they will drop right into these rails.

before anything is done to your car you need gauges. Boost gauge is crucial and a wideband 02 is safe to have aswell.

then, full exhaust before modding, including a bellmouth or divorced down pipe. the best thing to do is get a dp and a muffler and let an exhaust shop run you some piping.

get your intake opened up.

brakes, your stockers are alright. hawk semi metallic or whatever will be a noticeable improvement but you have tonnes of options..

most wrk brake sets will bolt right on. calipers, rotors ect.
stainless steel brakelines are nice too.

now you can stop, but your still in a boat. again, most wrx stuff is a bolt on or minor mod but they will improve your handling. sti springs or something similar will make a night and day difference.

swaybars. most front turbo applications will fit. newer endlinks and bushings are usally free with the bar. this will "flatten" things out quite nice. youll have to order a rear swaybar from whiteline.

get the steering rack bushings replaced.

be sure your timing belt is in good order, no wobble in the crank pulley ect.

fuel pump. walbro's are about $100.

now your ready for the chip. you can already have the turbo on, i/c ect but you wont see there potential until your tuned.

if you do a nice scoop job it will improve cooling and look great. CUT THE TOP LAYER ONLY with a dremel very carefully. the smaller wrx scoops can almost bolt right in, just some minor modding.

dont forget rims and tires. 5x100 .

all this info to do this work is available through searching.

these cars can be very inexpensive to mod if your upgrading to wrx sti parts. and there is always some one to buy your stock stuff because subaru's are alot like lego.

have fun and be safe
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

wrx / sti parts.

these are fairly bottomline kinda prices.

injectors. $100

intercooler with splitter. $100

td04. $75-$100

front swaybar. free to $50 with bushings and endlinks

struts. sometimes free usally under $100

chip. $250?

brakes. $100-300 lines, calipers, rotors, pads

downpipe. $50-300

muffler. $50

other misc. bushings. $100

mafs. used under $50

very important, all seals, sensors ect should be replaced with oem parts
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

hey there sorry for being late

for the msd coil you dont need much, you need plug wires off a later subaru that have the male ended coils, unlike the female end coils our cars have.
you need the connector that plugs into the coil off an early neon 1998ish
and you need 2 bolts just like the ones bolting the stock coil on but a bit longer i think like half an inch

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5195

i think this was the post i read way back when that encouraged me to do this

the connector solders in with the wires in the exact same spot as the legacy connector, however the plug wires have to be criss crossed... the front passenger plug hooks up to the rear passenger terminal on the coil and the rear plug to the front terminal etc etc...

it really was easy to do and worth every penny!!

p.s. when you do your power mode button mod you should also do the duty c mod, basically its a switch so you can lock the centre diff whenever you want, its real fun in the snow and rain...

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
Florin1
Fourth Gear

90* sti hose

Post by Florin1 »

So i couldn't find the post by scottys anymore but he was saying that the 90* elbow from the sti will work good for the td04 swap. my question is what is the diameter of the hose so i can order one from this website---> http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.ph ... dbcc79081c since i cant find any on nasioc at the moment. Will any of these work? Thanks
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

^ anybody? ^
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

2" i believe. i went the siliconeintakesystems route too. Worked out ok.....

the elbow rubs on the manifold ALOT and is kind ofpinched on there..... One day i'll fix it.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
robbcolecrabtree
First Gear

Exhaust

So I am looking at exhaust now, do you guys think if I got a factory STI Turbo back, that would be enough? Or should I go with a 3" instead. I want the stealth look and for it to be pretty subtle in sound as well. I found a decent deal on a STI Turbo back, $150, and I think that is 2.5". Let me know if I would need to go bigger, or if going with 2.5" will cause any issues. Thanks
94 Legacy Turbo - SOLD!
04 WRX - SOLD!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Realistically, you should be doing what you want... that's what it ultimately boils down too...

Sti turbo back is a nice setup, i don't know if its worth 150 or not.

If you choose to go STI or even WRX for the matter, just know you will have to extend your exhaust somewhere.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

i'd say get a 3" downpipe with or without a highflow cat in it along with a 3" mid pipe that has a resonator in it and then pick whatever muffler you want be it an sti one or some aftermarket one...

or you could get something like a borla hush catback to go with the downpipe...

either way the downpipe is where most of the power gains are so swap it out! if you upgrade the rest it will also make a difference but not as significant

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

robbcolecrabtree
First Gear

Okay, I just saw the STI Turbo-back locally for a decent price, and wondered if I should go with that. I guess I will see what kind of deal I can get on 3" and if not, then I will go with the STI one. Thanks guys
94 Legacy Turbo - SOLD!
04 WRX - SOLD!
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

i could be wrong but i do believe the sti down pipe is a very small if any upgrade on the stocker, it still has the plate blocking the waste gate rather than a bell-mouth or divorced opening and 2 fairly restrictive cats,
people with sti's uprgrade their exhaust just as often as people with wrx's and legacy ss's and thats for a reason... although i'm sure it will breathe and sound better than the stock legacy system mostly considering its one of the most restrictive mufflers out there.

good luck either way!
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@