Gas Tank Size?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

what is ur formula for ur calculation?
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

When I had my first legacy it would always take 12 gallons or 12.5 gallons on the empty line. Just a safety precation perhaps, subaru doesn't want their customers stranded or maybe it'll look bad for subaru if their cars are on the side of the road.

:D
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

To calculate gas mileage, jot down your exact odometer reading to the thousands digit after filling up. Then drive until it's empty or close to empty and fill it back up. Then just divide how many miles you've gone by how many gallons it took to fill it back up and you'll have your MPG for whatever type of driving you did, mixed probably.

This is the only way you should calculate mpg if you want accurate results. I've seen people do it other ways that are totally off the wall and a waste of time.

I had a friend who said something I'll never forget when he sold his VW jetta and bought a lifted Dodge Ram 2500 gas guzzler. He told his brother and I when we asked him what kind of mpg he was getting now that he got 30mpg in that thing! We both laughed our asses off. I told him that was impossible. I asked him how he was coming up with that insane gas mileage and he said that's what his jetta was getting and he was driving about the same amount of miles on each fillup in his truck!

That's when I told him his tank is probably twice the size or more in his ram. It was a real blonde moment for him.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

OMG that is a funny story. but ya that's been the way i always calculate my mileage, fill up and divide etc. i was thinking u did it a different way. its just weird if we have a 16gl tank but we're only using 12 every time we fill up. that's 4 gallons were missing out on and a potential 60 - 80 more miles we can be driving on :( hmmm. maybe they make a better gauge!
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea, I just clear my trip meter every time, and divide my milage by how many gallons it took to fill up.

He has a point though, I think its mostly a safety precaution and its not like its really a bad thing, you know when it gets that low you need gas, so if you can afford it you put gas in, its probably for the best as a matter of fact.

Ive been trying to keep my tank about 1/2 full so I can keep track of my mileage, although its 15-16 EVERY time so far... Don't get it
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's pretty damn low. My 91 legacy AWD wagon with a 4EAT from a 94 wagon got 25mpg and I think the last time I filled it up it got 28mpg!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mattheww044 wrote:yea, I just clear my trip meter every time, and divide my milage by how many gallons it took to fill up.
The only car I've owned that had a trip odometer was the legacy which I don't have anymore (not my turbo which doesn't run). I pretty much forgot all about trip odometers lol.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea, they definately come in handy. And yea, I just dont get it. I kind of expected the 15mpg with my normal driving... getting into boost and such, but hardly getting into boost got me the same?... dont get it. I think I will try it again, but go farther... those times I did get into boost could have hurt it quite a bit
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

I tend toward the 15-18mpg side of things. My high record is something like 21mpg (completely stock engine) and my low record was right after the new turbo was installed (12mpg!)

I'm getting about 30 miles less out of each tank than I did before the new setup went on. Probably just a driving style change though. I gun it a lot more now :D
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)