Glacier Grip 2 vs Icebear W300

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

suba
First Gear

Glacier Grip 2 vs Icebear W300

Post by suba »

The proxes 4 all seasons are about bald and with some planned ski trips this winter I figure I might try out some of these fancy "snow tires" I've been hearing about. My budget it kinda tight though, so the two tires i'm looking at are"

Mastercraft Glacier Grip 2 (about $580 installed)

Hankook Icebear W300 (about $500 installed)

Anyone have either of these tires?
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Just ordered a set of the Icebear W300's, we'll see how they do I guess
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have a set of the icebear studded and they have been pretty good to me.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

What size?

I've been hearing good things about the General Altimax Arctics. Very reasonably priced too. They just don't have the speed rating that my Pirelli Winter Carvings do.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

93forestpearl wrote: I've been hearing good things about the General Altimax Arctics. Very reasonably priced too. They just don't have the speed rating that my Pirelli Winter Carvings do.
I've also heard good things about the Arctics. I just picked up a set for my girlfriend's Impreza, so we'll see how they do.

They were the second cheapest winter tire TireRack carried - $1 more than the Firestone Winterforces.
SUBARUEHS Racing
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I talked my sister into getting a set. If I can't squeeze another winter out of my Pirellis, I get some Arctics in 14s. I'd rather avoid getting another set of winter tires for my beater since this will probably the last winter with that car.
→Dan

suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

I needed some 205 55 16's, which turns out is a little odd and not too common size so my choices were limited. On top of that most of the places around here only carry studded tires, so that limited my options further.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

205 55 16 Arctics from tire rack ran me $78 each + something like $40 shipping.
SUBARUEHS Racing
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Ya, I was thinkin about that. I read some reviews on the icebears and everyone seemed to say that they were not great deep snow tires but were great in slush, wet and light snow conditions. Around here we pretty much only get a few days of deeper snow, and thats what a 4runner is for anyway :D . For the most part we get a lot of slushy wet roads in the winter so thought I try those, though the tread is definitely not as sexy as the arctics, but its about performance not looks right... or at least thats what I tell myself.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm a fan of studdable tires since they generally run a harder compound than other winter tires. I'm going on my fifth winter with the Pirellis, and two of those were with over 300 whp.

The harder compounds aren't as good on glare ice, but who needs to drive like a maniac on glare ice anyways.
→Dan

suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Hockey players....those mothers are crazy...
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Well, I was one, but I was speaking for more than myself. I happen to be "that guy" when its slippery. :twisted:
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've got a set of yoko guardex on my old 14" wheels if anyone wants them. I ran them very limitedly when I was going to school in PA.

If anyone wants them, rims & all, they're yours for the cost of shipping. I'll try and look back through my records and see how many miles I put on them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I had a set of 225/45-17 Ice Bear W300s and I really liked them.

I did see, however, that Consumer Reports rated them terrible in the snow, but the best on ice, and very good in the dry. Having a 5MT, AWD, and an LSD made short work of snow, no matter how deep it was. If it's for snow, look elsewhere, but if you drive mostly in the cold and dry, with some ice, the W300 is great.

I'd still be running minde if weren't for a sidewall cut on one.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I just got the ice bears. No snow experience yet though, they are pretty quiet it seems though.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Yeah, the Ice Bears are a really, really good dry, cold, and ice tire. Not so flash in the snow, but if you have AWD and an LSD you're ahead of %95 of the people on the road.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Hey guys, uh, first post. (Just bought a 92 Sport 5SPD tonight!)

I had a set of W300's on my 2.5RS, and I loved them. I worked as a photographer for a newspaper in Boise, ID, and needed to get around no matter what. I found them to be really impressive on every surface I took them on. Icy roads, slushy roads, snow up to 3 in deep, dirt, gravel, mud, even autocrossed and won my class on them (really pissed off the WRX guys I was faster than). I posted a review saying basically the same thing on tire.com. They are not the most aggressive snow tire, but I would honestly run them year round (I did actually, got 35k out of them). No other tire I have had has been so capable on every surface, perfect for a Subaru. It was neat being able to blast down a wet mountain road, then blast down a gravel road and feel like I had the right tire for both.

The only other snow tire I have tried are Hankook iPike whatever, and they did great in snow and ice, but were pretty terrible everywhere else.

Hope that helped.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Well, went to get the W300's installed today at the local tire shop, but their tire machine slipped and punched a hole in one of the sidewalls. They had special ordered the size for me as it was so they sold me a set of the glacier grips for about $50 cheaper, ended up being about $460 out the door installed. I wasn't going to argue with that so I guess we'll see how these tires do.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

We have the Icebears on my wifes Forester. They work well for what they are. She runs them year round and they are wearing well. I have played around in the snow with them and they are OK. They are no where near my WS-50's but for how she drives they are perfect!
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I've heard good things about iPikes...good luck!
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
suba
First Gear

Re: Glacier Grip 2 vs Icebear W300

Post by suba »

An update on the Glacier Grip's:

Awesome. Ran them all winter long (short winter though). Minimal road noise increase over the toyo's, although I have a rather droning exhaust so it can be hard to tell. Handling just as good, wear has been excellent considering they have only seen about 4 days of actual snow. When in the snow they grip quite well and when they slip they are very predictable and easy to control. I was most surprised with how they handled gravel roads, they grip surprisingly well in all types of gravel, though compared to performance all seasons I would expect any winter tire to do better. Pure ice traction was still a bit slippery, though better than any all season and they are studable for those who are in to that.

Overall rating: For the price range (~$500 installed) I would definitely recommend.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt