Repair By-pass valve

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ericem
Fifth Gear

Repair By-pass valve

Post by ericem »

Check out this link

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-forced ... valve.html

Going to try this with a spare valve I have. My dad has nitrogen and a guage so I tried running a few psi to the valve and it does indeed leak very easily. It is also cold air, so I will try adding nickles and retest untill it stops leaking. I am thinking the gasket itself has sludge, oil debree on it causing it not to seal very well. I am wondering if I should wash the rubber and leave it dry? Or wash it, dry it then apply lithium grease... hmm...
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Re: Repair By-pass valve

Post by Mattheww044 »

thats pretty sweet actually, i might go ahead and do that myself. I got a supra BPV, which is the same exact thing as ours but just metal. The only thing is it quieted it down ALOT, and I want to be able to make some noise. I put the stock BPV back on for now, but I'm unsure of what I will be doing in the future
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Well, I took mine apart, the outer ring on the piston is soft rubber, but the center where it needs to seal for boost is like plastic. Tried adding nickles, and retested same thing. So spent the $100 for a new one seems like the best option. Ill post pics..

If the supra one quieted it down alot, I would think your BOV is leaking by noticeable, + you will use more fuel and will go noticeably slower like mine, also less response.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

The rubber in the middle of the piston is hard like a rock and can not make a seal. Can't wait to install my new valve after the car is painted :)
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

well the supra BPV quieted down like rediiculously. Could hardly hear it, and im pushing ~13 psi, 3" TBE, and a silenecer delete with a K&N. I am not sure if its just because its made of metal, but my boost drops 3-4 psi regardless of which BPV I am using, and didn't really notice any "performance" difference between the two, so I went back to the stock SS one.
sublunacy
First Gear

Post by sublunacy »

Can a replacement rubber diaphram seal be found?

Ummmm Ericem do you have a MX-6 aswell? I got a 1990 mx6 gt turbo 6months ago with 133,000 kms on it.
Cost $400 hehehhahhaha and a ton of work :wink:
Funny thing is im there earlier today right, and the moderator has changed the layout...... It's totally F'd up with the colours and the gangster *ullshit, its really wierd I thought i had a Heavy LSD trippin flashback //
I had to seriously asses my state of reality, to cope with radical change in the website. The place gives me headahe now? Whats up w that place? sorry to crap on mx-6.com but ur posting a link to it. Whats up there AaaarrrrggghhSOB!! ?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

lol no i don't own a mx-6 just searched up bpv repair on google. :)
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
sublunacy
First Gear

Post by sublunacy »

Mx6.com got me with their April Fools joke. They put alot of work into that one!
"Hows the transition look?"
91 turbo manual
BMX in the trunk!!!