random connector in stereo cavity

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacylok
First Gear

random connector in stereo cavity

Post by legacylok »

can someone identify the black plug for me?

i pulled my stereo out to replace it and found the black connector in the picture just chillin with no partner in sight.

Kris

92 SS, ej20g, camo wrap, 16g, 06 intercooler,
Robtune, 550s
subaru_styles
Third Gear

Re: random connector in stereo cavity

Post by subaru_styles »

you have your car fs on craigslist>?
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
legacylok
First Gear

Post by legacylok »

yeah but i just took it down, i decided to keep it. :)
Kris

Robtune, 550s
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

that's the connector for the ashtray light i believe
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Pretty sure the ashtray light plug is a lot smaller.Looks me like the plug that goes to the steering column a bit over to the left in the pic.Im pretty sure its the plug that will make the door/key chime shut up if unplugged,but also turns something else of,cant remember.Is your door chime working?
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
legacylok
First Gear

Post by legacylok »

nope its not working i didn't realize i had a door chime cool
Kris

Robtune, 550s
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

I have the same thing, but it's white, no other plug in sight or in range... My chime works, nothing else is inop. Don't worry about it, probably for the optional CD player or something.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
legacylok
First Gear

Post by legacylok »

huh well i guess i wont worry about it then

thanks for your help
Kris

Robtune, 550s
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Now I'm curious about it... does it have 12V on it, switched or not? Might be a convenient source to tap for accesories such as heated seats, cb radio, etc. etc...
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
legacylok
First Gear

Post by legacylok »

it has switched 12v that only works when the lights are on and the car is running
Kris

Robtune, 550s
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

hmm, yeah i think that's the ashtray light. could still be wrong tho
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
familydad
First Gear

Post by familydad »

its the wire used for the Ash tray dimmer lite, AllData shows it.
Hot damm that was fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Legacy L postal, RHD
legacylok
First Gear

Post by legacylok »

Sweet! good to know
Kris

Robtune, 550s
alkeson
In Neutral

Post by alkeson »

For the lights to work it requires at-least 12V power supply, but still it requires continuous power supplies so you need to keep the car on.
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

If it is the ashtray light plug, then it will energize when the lights(parking or headlights) are on, with the key on. I used this plug way back when to power the light on my first boost gauge, if I remember right it will dim with the dimmer switch along with the rest of the cluster lights.
It is very conveniant for gauges, being that it has the ground and 12 volt source right there.

When I used this I was very inexperienced and decided to use UNINSULATED female spade connectors and they slide right onto the pins and hooked right to my gauge and worked great. The gauge light lit up whenever the lights where on and worked just like the factory instrument lights. However, one day I took my gauge out to do something and left the wires dangling. I turned my ignition on and I guess the lights where already in the on position, I saw a spark and the the two wires where touching. I lost all my instrument lights, so I figured well I just blew a fuse, no such luck. It fried my illumination control module, cost like $90 +1hr for the dealeer to diagnose it, right under $200 out the door.

Moral of the story, If you use this as a source for something make sure to use INSULATED connectors. This was one of those, learn it the hard way, experiances for me, since then I use insulation on every electrical connection I make. I know most people are smart enough to use insulated cannectors, but I was a newb and didn't have a clue to the differences.

Just figured I throw this out there, take from it what you will. I could have bought a ton of insulated connecters for $200, LOL.

Brian
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks I'm hitting up the junkyard right now for another illumination control module.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

brweber352 wrote:If it is the ashtray light plug, then it will energize when the lights(parking or headlights) are on, with the key on. I used this plug way back when to power the light on my first boost gauge, if I remember right it will dim with the dimmer switch along with the rest of the cluster lights.
It is very conveniant for gauges, being that it has the ground and 12 volt source right there.

When I used this I was very inexperienced and decided to use UNINSULATED female spade connectors and they slide right onto the pins and hooked right to my gauge and worked great. The gauge light lit up whenever the lights where on and worked just like the factory instrument lights. However, one day I took my gauge out to do something and left the wires dangling. I turned my ignition on and I guess the lights where already in the on position, I saw a spark and the the two wires where touching. I lost all my instrument lights, so I figured well I just blew a fuse, no such luck. It fried my illumination control module, cost like $90 +1hr for the dealeer to diagnose it, right under $200 out the door.

Moral of the story, If you use this as a source for something make sure to use INSULATED connectors. This was one of those, learn it the hard way, experiances for me, since then I use insulation on every electrical connection I make. I know most people are smart enough to use insulated cannectors, but I was a newb and didn't have a clue to the differences.

Just figured I throw this out there, take from it what you will. I could have bought a ton of insulated connecters for $200, LOL.

Brian

i think this is exactly what happened to my instrument lights. What two wires are you speaking of when you say they touched with the lights in the "on" position? I think I accidentally had my lights in the "on" position when I turned my ignition on when testing the instrument light bulbs.
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread