rusting already? is this right? new rotors.

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speedmaxx
Second Gear

rusting already? is this right? new rotors.

Post by speedmaxx »

so I ended up raplacing my rear rotors and brake pads on my 93 l. I painted the center of the rotor with a high heat paint to prevent rusting which has been working great. but looking at my rotors the other day I relize theres some rust on the lower part of the rotor where the brake pads should be touching. its like the pads arnt coming in full contact with the rotor, there only biting on half of it.

is this normal? my brakes seem to be working very well. what can be done to solve this issue? or should I just forget about it

I has thinking I might just lightly spray the entire rotor surface with a high heat rust eating paint then put them back on the car and let the pads eat away at the paint that they come in contact with. good idea?

thanks
93 legacy l
to much to list....
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Re: rusting already? is this right? new rotors.

Post by 93forestpearl »

I would be looking at other reasons as to why you do not have full contact, if that is the case. Keep in mind your pads do not cover the entire rotor surface.

And painting your whole rotor and letting the pads clean it off is not a good idea. You would be rendering the rear brakes useless for quite some time, if not indefinitely.

Rotors rust. It's a fact of life.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Could in be my rear calipers arnt biting as hard as they should be? Is it normal for the brake to bite on half of the rotor surface?

Could it be beacuse I haven't bleed the brakes in a whill? Maybe the caliper isn't clamping it self down as hard as it should be?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Any chance you could take a picture?

The force generated by a normally operating brake system will easily remove any rust or paint on the rotor. I would look at the possibility of a stuck caliper or something else. But a picture of the rotor and your problem would help in confirming that diagnosis.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Alright I'll snap a pic and post it up tommorow
93 legacy l
to much to list....
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

i think i may know the problem. if you are reffering to the lower part of the rotor being rusted that is normal. that is the design of the rotor. the pads dont touch from the hub all the way to theedge of the rotor. there is a half inch or so that is not used. why it is like that i am not sure or never thought of it. if you look at other cars, not just Subaru you will see what i mean. hope this helps
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

maybe this will help also
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Umm okay see the rotor on the right, you see how there is like A line going around on the rotor surface, now imagine the inside of the circle rusting

that is my issue
93 legacy l
to much to list....
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

So, which rotor is yours?

Anytime you do a brake job you should swipe some caliper grease on the inside mounting side of the rotor to prevent corrosion that forces the rotor (and the wheel) out from the hub.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

93forestpearl wrote:So, which rotor is yours? .
the rotors are mine. left is WRX and right is stock

speedmax...hmmm well i am out of ideas. the only thing i could think of is to take it apart again and make sure everything is flush and tight. maybe some how the pads got seated improperly and now they lean in and arent flush
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP