Play in rear tires?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

Play in rear tires?

Post by Shaggy »

So about a week ago iwas looking up what size tires I could fit on my car because I want to put the 195/75/14 bf goodrich a/t ko tires on my car. They were the only a/t tires I could find for a 14 Inch rim. Anyways I was reading some posts about people that had some bigger rims and tires on there car and they said when turning sharp fast corners their tire rubs their strut. I was wondering how his was possible for the tire to move enough to rub he strut. Their tires where about 1/3 of an inch from their strut I believe. Is it because of the spinning of the tire making he tire get bigger? Idk. But I just went outside to smoke a ciggarette and I shook one of my back tires and it had a little play in it, not much but enough to make a noise that sounded like my lug nuts where the tiniest bit loose... But they weren't, checked just incase. I know already that my rear bearings are shot becuase there is a slight humming comming from my strut towers, mainly the passengers side. I was wondering if the play was from the shot bearings?
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
familydad
First Gear

Re: Play in rear tires?

Post by familydad »

very well could be, it also can be from tire flex.
Hot damm that was fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Legacy L postal, RHD
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The bigger rims and tires rub the strut because they are wider and/or of the wrong offset. The noise is probably the play in your wheel bearings or could be shot suspension bushings, I suppose.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

if you can hear humming then most likely it is just the play from the worn bearings.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Ok thank u verry much this is what I thought when I get the money I will replace them. But the whole part about the bigger rims and tires, I know that they are wider too, but how does it rub the strut... The tire or the strut aren't suposed to move. How do they end up touching eachother when turnin sharp corners... To me there just seems something wrong here. I hope someone has an explanation for this. Thanks for your advice btw.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Flex. Everything flexes—even the wheels, which is why they have a service life in racing even excluding ramming curbs and such. Another example: a somewhat common annoyance most people can't figure out the cause of is a metal squealing/rubbing sound from the outside wheel when cornering. What happens is the brake rotor backing plate rusts/gets bent and gets close enough to the brake rotor that when they flex under cornering loads, they contact the plate and make the obnoxious sound. When someone checks the brakes and wheels, they won't see the problem because the two pieces can be up to about 1/8" apart when static and most people don't take into account, or know of, the flexing.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Flex. Everything flexes—even the wheels, which is why they have a service life in racing even excluding ramming curbs and such. Another example: a somewhat common annoyance most people can't figure out the cause of is a metal squealing/rubbing sound from the outside wheel when cornering. What happens is the brake rotor backing plate rusts/gets bent and gets close enough to the brake rotor that when they flex under cornering loads, they contact the plate and make the obnoxious sound. When someone checks the brakes and wheels, they won't see the problem because the two pieces can be up to about 1/8" apart when static and most people don't take into account, or know of, the flexing.
Exactly.If you could see all the shit flexing and bending on your car while driving you would be scared :shock:
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Ok hat makes perfect sense. I was sort of thinking along those lines a little bit bit too but wasn't sure and I post off of my iPod touch so I didn't want to write a book with this tiny keyboard Lol. Thank u guys again.