What are the biggest tires I can put on my 90 n/a

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

What are the biggest tires I can put on my 90 n/a

Post by Shaggy »

So I want to put some a/t tires on my subie and i was wondering what the biggest Tire I could put on my 90 wagon L . I want to use the stock 14's that came on it for this and the only a/t tires I could find that come in 14's are some bf goodrich a/t ko's 195/75/14 and I also found some Cooper a/t tires in the same size also. I believe the bfgoodrich tires are 25.2 inches tall according to their website. Would these tires fit on my car without custom fabrication? also what a/t tires do most people use for their wagons?
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Shaggy
First Gear

Re: What are the biggest tires I can put on my 90 n/a

Post by Shaggy »

Does anyone know of an a/t tires besides the ones I found that they would recomend? Like I said I don't want to do any custom fabrication to my car. Maybe later down the road but for now I just wanna put some tires that Im not worried about puncturing while I'm doin some fourwheelin.
Rammster
In Neutral

Post by Rammster »

i'm using 225/45 R 17 on my 92 wagon
92 Legacy Wagon Awd
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

I personally love the BFG AT, I have them on my Syncro in 235/75-15s, and I had them on my 4-Runner. Lots of Vanagon guys are running the 14" on the stock rims... Very tough sidewalls and they wear like iron, 50K is not unusual with proper rotation. They're great in sand & snow, but mud performance is a weak point according to some users, but I've never been in a spot where I couldn't get traction.

I think those are probably the biggest you'll get in 14"... Pick up a set of used 15" rims, it opens up a whole world of sizes. Later GM rims fit as well, and have a slightly lower offset which will help with clearance with larger tires.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

My issue is that I don't want to have to do anything with my fenders. I thought about getting some 15inch rims because there Is a lot more options with that's size but then all of the ones I looked at where too tall. I think I'm gonna look again though. If anyone has any info or opinions feel free to give ur input